Can i Make a One Mesh Network over Ethernet connection?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-04-23 15:17:29 - last edited 2022-05-17 11:37:36

I want to create a mesh wifi network using Tp-Link’s One Mesh products. 

Basically i need to get a Tp-Link wireless router and a range extender that supports One Mesh. 

I want to connect them both over ethernet for a more stable and faster connection. 

Can i acheive a mesh wifi network between them if i connected them over ethernet?

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Can i Make a One Mesh Network over Ethernet connection?-Solution
2022-05-17 11:37:22 - last edited 2022-05-17 11:37:36

@TaKeOVER No, I can. 

simply connect them over ethernet and name the ssids the same and give them the same password. 
boom mesh network

Recommended Solution
Options
11 Reply
Re:Can i Make a One Mesh Network over Ethernet connection?
2021-04-29 18:01:14

@Errefae 

OneMesh does not support Ethernet backhaul so the connection would be over Wi-Fi only.

You can still move forward with the setup you want in having the devices wired and setting our range extender in AP Mode and connect an Ethernet cable. You would just not have mesh features or have the network nodes recommend the best one to connect to so it will be up to the client device on which to connect to. Another alternative would be to make the network names different for each node where you would manually select which you want to connect to in order to avoid any confusion.

Options
2021-11-23 19:46:28

@Errefae 

Isnt there a circularity here? You want to have good wifi coverage in a building. Presumably because you have wifi no go zones. (Like me in an old house with metre thick walls).  So you choose a oneMesh solution. Except that you cannot have a Mesh unless you do have good wifi coverage:- and hence do not need the product to start with.

I found this today when I sought to add an AX10 to my existing OneMesh install (of 2 RE190 and a MR600).  I bought the AX10 to replace an existing wifi router:- an unecessary replacement?

Options
2021-12-14 08:22:30 - last edited 2021-12-14 08:28:44

Hello @psynapse 

If you request OneMesh over Ethernet feature, please leave your device information in below thread,  we will record your feedback for further evaluation. Thank you. 

[Feature request] Range Extender OneMesh Supports Ethernet Backhaul

Several questions about the OneMesh™ and Mesh

Options
2022-05-02 01:08:45

@Solla-topee 

What happens if I set up repeater RE505X or RE603X in OneMesh mode. Then power off and connect an ethernet cable from router or switch to the repeater? I was testing and it seemed speed was faster. Repeater still shows in OneMesh mode in the App. Is it switching to AP mode automatically but still showing OneMesh Extender configuration?

Options
2022-05-06 04:30:45

u cant have a Ethernet as a back haul, whats the point of the mesh then. lucky i didnt go out and buy, was about to go out and buy 6 routers. i want good wifi, and and good wifi mean i need the trunk line. 

Options
2022-05-09 09:00:40 - last edited 2022-05-09 09:01:32

@TaKeOVER thank you for the feedback, you could vote and comment on this thread, this helps us organize your feedback and set priority for this.Thank you  It also provides some workaround like Deco Mesh system or Powerline OneMesh system.

[Feature request] Range Extender OneMesh Supports Ethernet Backhaul

Options
2022-05-09 09:04:16

Hello  @TaKeOVER thank you for asking, connecting both wired & wireless connection may cause a loop in the network or lead some other issues, I've seen a case that customer found PC connected to router does not work properly. If the distance is too far, it is recommended to wire RE to router and use it in AP mode. 

Options
Re:Can i Make a One Mesh Network over Ethernet connection?-Solution
2022-05-17 11:37:22 - last edited 2022-05-17 11:37:36

@TaKeOVER No, I can. 

simply connect them over ethernet and name the ssids the same and give them the same password. 
boom mesh network

Recommended Solution
Options
2022-10-05 06:22:12

@Errefae 

Hello i have just bought

RE700X 

I was pretty sure that mesh will work with cable too... than what is the point of having one mesh devices. when you can not use cable.

I have concrete walls and metal doors in building and i have prepared cables. If you will set the same name you will lose your connection while changing places. 

i think official info in shops is misunderstanding, there is something like

"You can extend your repeater operability with Ethernet " at least in polish shops...

Options
2022-10-25 13:28:45

@zml71 

Hello Zml71, I have bought RE-705 because thought that I can connect it with tp-link router via ethernet cable. When I recognize that this is not possible I have back to the polish page and read article again and found that there is info that you can use ethernet cable but then use it as a Access Point (not as a Range extender) -;>

Options

Information

Helpful: 3

Views: 11018

Replies: 11

Related Articles