New Device Detected ("{device} joined the Deco network") -- but it isn't mine

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-06-30 17:53:13 - last edited 2021-06-30 17:54:18
Model: Deco E4  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version: 1.4.3

My model is the Deco S4 but didn't appear in the drop-down menu.

I've set my Mesh up, all works fine. In the app however, I get notifications that a new device has been detected and "joined the Deco network". The trouble is, these devices are not mine. So far, I've received 2 in about 3 days.

Checking my home network for both online and offline devices, they do not appear, so my reasoning is that the app is logging that a device is attempting to log in to my network, but isn't going through. Am I right (and do I have naughty neighbours)?

Thanks, 

Options
3 Reply
Re:New Device Detected ("{device} joined the Deco network") -- but it isn't mine
2021-07-01 06:53:31

@pourradass It could be someone walking / driving past your house.

I frequently get "UNKNOWN" joining my network and then disconnecting again.

Options
Re:New Device Detected ("{device} joined the Deco network") -- but it isn't mine
2021-09-11 04:21:51

@pourradass same here.

It is supposed to only show successful connections, but appears to log any attempt.

1. TP-Link; why aren't you fixing this? I see posts 2-3 years old where you replied the next firmware update will resolve.

2. If I was in an apartment building or dense urban neighborhood, I'd probably have to return the device and go with a different manufacturer...

3. I have an open guest network - how come all notifications are on the main, private, password protected network? Is there less logging on guest, or are these real attempts to penetrate the password? Your reporting is definitely lacking... How many passwords where attempted? How long were they trying? Was any malware being used? Etc.

Options
2021-09-13 06:31:18

@ET. 

Hi,

If the devices are trying to connect the Deco, but it did not successfully connect, there would be no notification.

Whole for the following cases, you might get the notification for the old devices which has successfully connected to Deco before:

1. the DHCP release time is over, and Deco assigned a new IP address for the old devices.

2. With private address enabled, the device has randomly changed the MAC address and it would be detected as a new device.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1059

Replies: 3