[Solution] Main Deco frequently disconnects from the Internet under Spectrum service

[Solution] Main Deco frequently disconnects from the Internet under Spectrum service

2021-08-11 00:55:03 - last edited 2022-12-19 07:54:40

Update:

The issue mentioned below has been fixed on the latest firmware and please make sure your Deco is up to date!

Issue Description/Phenomenon:
It's been reported that the Deco may lose Internet connection frequently under Spectrum network.  The main Deco may turn red, rebooting the Deco or unplugging/plugging the Ethernet cable from the modem could restore the connection. 

However, if the connection doesn't recover by power cycling the Deco,  unless power cycling the Spectrum modem, you're strongly suggested to contact Spectrum to troubleshoot first. On some occasions, the "Online" LED on the Spectrum modem always remains illuminated, while you actually get disconnected from their network.

It's also suggested to verify the IP address on the Deco network (Open the Deco App > More > Advanced > IPv4) when the issue happens. If the IPv4 address is all 0.0.0.0, the disconnection might be also caused by the line or modem,  try to contact Spectrum for further assistance.

Related Article:

Fix unstable connection when connected to the Deco network

Options
18 Reply
Re:[Solution] Main Deco frequently disconnects from the Internet under Spectrum service
2021-09-16 14:05:58

@TP-Link While Spectrum is not my ISP, WOW! (Wide Open West) is my ISP and I was having almost identical issues. I found this thread after losing connectivity seemingly from my ISP, about 30 times per day, albeit briefly. I have installed this firmware and rebooted everything. I have only had one drop for 12 seconds in the last 4 hours. I didn't even realize it, so I was unable to grab the debug log, but if it drops again, I will grab it and post it. Thanks for working on this, I really do love my M9 Plus mesh!

Options
Re:[Solution] Main Deco frequently disconnects from the Internet under Spectrum service
2021-09-17 01:20:03

@Minivanmachoman 

Thank you very much for the updateyes.

Options
2021-09-20 19:13:30

@TP-Link, this is definitely a low-tech reply. I had the same problem at one time.  I lived in a rural area.  Turned out that a flock of birds was landing on the wires going up the holler to my house about the same time every day.  Upon investigation, the energy co-op discovered that the wires were old & bare in places.  They replaced the wires.  Birds came and went, but my connection didn't anymore.

Options
2021-09-22 02:19:19

@mbj 

It is an interesting experience and It also provides us some new possibilities.cool

Options
2021-10-11 12:24:21

@TP-Link 

I have similar issue - Spectrum is ISP.  Switched from Spectrum provided router to TP-Link a few days ago and I now have frequent drops of internet (before this swsitch everthing worked well, just didn't have the range on the wifi signal that I wanted).  The drops are short in duration, usually just refresh the page and/or close the app an open again, but they are super annoying.  Since the drops are so short (and my router is down in the basement in a not super acceissble locatio) I haven't been able to see if the LED lights turn red, but the log files don't show anything super obvious.  Again, it worked fine a few days ago with a different router, so I do not think it is a line or modem issue.  I don't have Deco, i have Archer C2300.  Do you have recommendation on fix for this TP-Link Archer C2300 paired with Spectrum ISP?

I've turned off all the "fancy" features on the new router - Smart Connect, Airtime Fairness, QoS Device Priority.  And set the channels to not auto select (2.4 GHz set to 1, 5 GHz set to 165).  I'm real close to just putting the old Spectrum provide router back in place and returning the TP-Link.

Thanks for any help you can provide!

Options
2021-11-29 18:32:26

@TP-Link

The Beta worked for my M5 dropping off Spectrum! Am I supposed to honor update notices now? Or, are those for the regular OS? 

Options
2021-11-30 01:43:26

@Tpfan4sure 

Hi,

Do you mean that you get the new firmware notification-1.5.7 on the APP?

You could try to update the firmware via Deco APP when there is a new firmware available.

(And the beta firmware 1.5.0 here for Deco M5 is suitable as long as your current firmware is below 1.6.0)

Options
2021-12-21 00:36:33

@TP-Link the model I have shows 

Model:

W3600(2.0)

Can I use the firmware for W3600 V1?

Options
2021-12-21 01:22:08

@cmonbux 

Hi, I am afraid that you could not use the beta firmware for V1.

Could you please provide more details about your current issue, like your ISP, and any Deco turn red, so that I can see whether there is a suitable firmware?

Thank you very much.

Options
2022-01-05 15:13:25

@TP-Link I'm using Frontier Fiber for my ISP and was having this same problem with my Deco x60 v2 using firmware 1.5.1_20210204

This beta firmware fixed the frequent disconnect issue for me.  Please make sure it goes into the next official firmware release.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 16776

Replies: 18

Related Articles