RE315 Range Extender delivering a fraction of expected speed

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-08-12 04:15:08 - last edited 2021-08-12 23:58:58
Model: RE315  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.0.2 Build 201103 Rel.56789n

Hello!

I just received and set up a new RE315 range extender which I purchased to extend the range from my WiFi modem in the livingroom to the computers in the bedrooms. The installation went smoothly via the enclosed instructions. I'm subscribed to AT&T's fiber plan and should be seeing speeds up to 500 Mbps, but after connecting to the new networks created by the range extender, the speed is suddenly ~20 Mbps on both 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz networks. The signal strength of the WiFi router shows as "strong" in the Tether app, as well as on the range extender. I've also tried resetting the range extender and reconnecting, but I'm still getting the same speeds.

Is my range extender defective? Am I missing a crucial step in the setup process? 

Btw, I used the WPS procedure outlined in the enclosed instructions to set everything up.

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Options
2 Reply
Re:RE315 Range Extender delivering a fraction of expected speed
2021-08-16 08:06:27

@OMMBoy  Hello, 

Thank you for your detailed post, as Range extender receives data from the router and then forward it to the connected clients and speed will decrease during the transmission,  the speed of router at RE's location is quite important. Please test the 5Ghz Wi-Fi speed from Router at  the Same Location of RE and how much speed you could get? 
Make sure your range extender is on the good locate as the guide here: How to place your wireless Range Extender for optimal reception and performance?
https://community.tp-link.com/en/home/forum/topic/269204
If possible, please wire a computer to RE and test RE's wired speed. 
Make sure 5Ghz Led is On on the range extender, and test RE's 5Ghz speed. 

May I have  the speediest results on router & RE and also the wifi link speed on your device (computer or mobile device) when they connected to router and RE?
https://www.tp-link.com/support/faq/2265/

May I know the model of router and your network work topology, for example router Archer AX10  in living room<wireless>RE in bedroom, thank you in advance.

Options
Re:RE315 Range Extender delivering a fraction of expected speed
2021-08-19 01:18:30

@Solla-topee 

Hi! 

Thanks for the reply, but I've already returned the unit to Amazon and was issued a refund.

The RE was about 4 meters away around the corner from the modem, and my computer is about 5 meters from the RE. I tested the WiFi speed at 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz and got similar results. I was unable to wire a computer to the RE because I'm using a Mac which doesn't have a network plug. 

The model of the modem is: Pace 5268AC

Chris

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 887

Replies: 2