TL-PA9020P Version Differences

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-08-14 23:04:46
Model: TL-PA9020 KIT  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Can someone please direct me to a reference explaining the difference between the four versions of TL-PA9020P PowerLine adapters?

My guess is that there are hardware differences, but beyond that.....?

My older V1 adapters work OK with three, but were a disappointment when I attempted to add a fourth.  PowerLine is a really convenient solution to multiple situations when it works.  (A major disappointment when it fails.)

Thanks

Options
4 Reply
Re:TL-PA9020P Version Differences
2021-08-16 07:40:18

@UnWired 

The basic functions and features are the same for PA9020P between PA9020P V1 to V3 and we generally update the package and product label to mark the package or production revision, and  devices with higher hardware will have newer firmware versions.  

For AV2000, different hardware version are compatible with each other and they should be able to paired together. 
You could plug the  last powerline adapter with one of powerline extender in the same room, in a wall socket and pair it with pair button
https://www.tp-link.com/support/faq/1081/

Note:  press Pair button only for 1 sec, Power Leds should be flashing on both powerline units in pairing process. ( if the Power Led does not blink, press it for 1 sec again)
When the Powerline Led or House Leds are on, the pairing process is done.

Options
2021-08-16 14:27:47

@UnWired 

Thanks for responding.  So, there is no web page available to the public describing the component differences between the different versions, or how v1, v2, v3, and v4 are different?  (Like, maybe Broadcom quit producing one chip and a newer chip was substituted?)

Even though the basic functions remain the same, it is sort of an expensive experiment to replace four PA9020P with a newer version to see if they is more stable than the V1 model.

Options
2021-08-31 13:37:07

@UnWired The main problem here is that TP-Link just loves to abandon older versions of their product from firmware updates, even if they are technically entirely identical, just with a different packaging design.

Other vendors of PLC devices do release the very latest PLC firmware versions even for their oldest hardware.

Options
2021-08-31 15:10:44

@UnWired 

That certainly may be the case.  I was rather hoping that the change in version number represented a change in components of some sort. When I read about PowerLine on the web, it seems there are two main chip suppliers and one does better at resisting noise than the other.  If they would simply publish the chip versions I could read up on differences in the chips.  I could probably get out a screwdriver and magnifying glass, open the case, and try to read the chip descriptions.

At one time, I could swear that I came across a web site that listed the components of networking devices, like routers, switches, etc.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1531

Replies: 4

Related Articles