Remote VPN Services suddenly stopped working (other issues also) - Archer AX20

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-08-26 00:22:27
Model: Archer AX20  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.3.1 Build 20210524 rel.40909

Hey all, hope you can help here.

I'm not precisely sure when this started happening, since our country has been in COVID lockdown for a little while. But as of about 2 weeks ago, I tried to access my home network via PPTP VPN like I would normally do, but it failed to connect. I then went through usual troubleshooting steps: checked Dynamic DNS, tried manually setting the  WAN IP, messed around with a bunch of settings, and even tried factory resetting - but no luck. I figured it might be the firmware update I had grabbed about a month ago, and after checking the patch notes it looked like they made changes to PPTP, but downgrading firmware also had no effect. I also tried switching to and using OpenVPN, but still no go.

I've also been noticing random issues with connecting via game console matches over the internet. I get booted out of matches where I didn't before, and had to put the console in the DMZ, where it was fine earlier with port forwarding. I'm also having some issues with peer to peer connections on other applications. This may all be unrelated though.

Anyway, any help would be greatly appreciated, as I need my VPN network outside of my home.

Thanks.

Options
3 Reply
Re:Remote VPN Services suddenly stopped working (other issues also) - Archer AX20
2021-08-27 08:16:44

@Okish 

What's the WAN IP address now on the AX20, is it the same as before the firmware update? When you try to connect to the VPN server from outside, was there an error message?

Please check the VPN Tunnel: login the web interface, and on the VPN Server-> VPN Connections, confirm if there is a VPN connection enabled and show us the status. Try to follow the guide again to reconfigure the VPN server on the AX20:

https://www.tp-link.com/support/faq/1544/

After that, please confirm if you can ping the IP of the AX20 and the server from the outside.

Options
Re:Remote VPN Services suddenly stopped working (other issues also) - Archer AX20
2021-08-29 21:30:59

@Kevin_Z 

Hey Kevin,

I believe there's a known issue with the VPN connections that apply to my router model at the moment? There seems to be a sticky thread with mention of a beta firmware, which has a potential fix.

I'll try that when I get a chance soon, then I'll go through troubleshooting steps if the problem persists.

Options
2021-08-30 02:50:25

@Okish 

OK, you can install it to confirm first. Here it is.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 451

Replies: 3