Deco W2400 no internet, can't connect over local network

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-09-06 22:59:13 - last edited 2021-09-08 03:03:38

I have a simple 3 node Deco W2400 network that has been working fine.   Today the internet stopped working.  Red light on the Deco. In the Deco app, it shows the red exclamation point on the internet icon.  I checked my fiber ONT and the status.leds look fine.   I power cycled the main Deco and it came back up still with the red light.

So I tried connecting to the Deco from my computer over the local Ethernet, 192.168.68.1.  The connection timed out.  Tried ping as well, it times out.  so now, I can't think of anything else to do to diagnose the problem short of factory reset and setting up the network from scratch.

Are there any other diagnostic steps I can take?  Or if I have to reset, is there a way to preserve my network configuration. 

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Deco W2400 no internet, can't connect over local network-Solution
2021-09-08 00:19:39 - last edited 2021-09-08 03:03:38

@TP-Link 

So the root cause of the problem was with my Ziply Fiber service.   Right at the beginning I had checked with Ziply's online outage page and it said there was no outage affecting me.   That plus the fact that the status lights of my ONT were all normal had me looking at the Deco router as the problem.   The fact that I could not connect to the Deco from a computer connected directly to it seemed like pretty good evidence that the problem was with the router.  But after trying the computer directly connected to the fiber ONT didn't work, that prompted me to call Ziply and they confirmed that there was an outage affecting my service.   When the fiber connection came back, the Deco router connected and everything went back to normal.

So why was the Deco not functioning while the fiber service was down?   Besides costing me a few hours of time investigating the problem, I also had a non functional local network.

Recommended Solution
Options
8 Reply
Re:Deco W2400 no internet, can't connect over local network
2021-09-07 07:22:34

@Oregon_John 

Hi, could you please send me a picture of the following information:

1. Please go to Deco APP>More>Advanced>IPV4 and send me a picture of the IPv4 page.

2. Do you have any wired computer and could you please plug it into the FIOS ONT to confirm the computer could get internet service?

3. Could you please send me some pictures of the IP settings and Ping test on the computer,such as

Then, please refer to this link to change a different Deco as the main Deco to have a look:

How to Setup the Satellite Deco to be the Main Deco?

Options
Re:Archer A6 v.2.0 no internet, can't connect over local network
2021-09-07 14:53:15

@Oregon_John 
We have this same issue.

We have the Archer A6 v.2.0 router and ever since this latest firmware update, (1.1.8 Build 20210226 rel 34930(5553) ) we've lost our internet EVERY morning.
We do have it scheduled to reboot every morning at 03:00, and it appears to drop the ISP connection around that time.

We will turn OFF (Disable)  Reboot Schedule to see if this is the bug to losing internet every morning.

Anyone else having the issue?

Thanks.

Options
2021-09-07 17:07:50

@TP-Link 

I'll answer the questions in separate replies starting with number 2.    I didn't know that you could connect a computer directly to the ONT.  I did so and I tried ipconfig /renew.  Is that the network equivalent of a reboot?  I'm not sure, so I also rebooted the computer. No connection.  Does that prove the fiber network is down?   If so I can contact Ziply for help.   But that would not explain why I can't connect directly from computer to the Deco.  In fact now the Deco does not even serve up an IP address to the directly connected computer.

Options
2021-09-07 17:27:17

@TP-Link 

In answer to number 1, here is a screenshot from the Deco app.  I'm not sure it is of much use as I have been playing with things while try to diagnose the problem.

Options
2021-09-07 17:35:20

@TP-Link 

Regarding number 3, I don't think it is of any use since the Deco is not serving an IP address to the computer, but here is the ipconfig info after ipconfig /renew.

Options
Re:Deco W2400 no internet, can't connect over local network-Solution
2021-09-08 00:19:39 - last edited 2021-09-08 03:03:38

@TP-Link 

So the root cause of the problem was with my Ziply Fiber service.   Right at the beginning I had checked with Ziply's online outage page and it said there was no outage affecting me.   That plus the fact that the status lights of my ONT were all normal had me looking at the Deco router as the problem.   The fact that I could not connect to the Deco from a computer connected directly to it seemed like pretty good evidence that the problem was with the router.  But after trying the computer directly connected to the fiber ONT didn't work, that prompted me to call Ziply and they confirmed that there was an outage affecting my service.   When the fiber connection came back, the Deco router connected and everything went back to normal.

So why was the Deco not functioning while the fiber service was down?   Besides costing me a few hours of time investigating the problem, I also had a non functional local network.

Recommended Solution
Options
2021-09-08 03:06:38

@Oregon_John 

For the last question, I think it is related to WAN/LAN auto-sensing on the Deco, and please have a look at this link:

[Deco] WAN/LAN auto-sensing

Options
2021-09-08 18:06:27

TP-Link wrote

@Oregon_John 

For the last question, I think it is related to WAN/LAN auto-sensing on the Deco, and please have a look at this link:

[Deco] WAN/LAN auto-sensing

@TP-Link 

OK, that is probably why, but i don't think that is a good design for the router units.   There must be a better way to solve the problem.   The suggested fix in that link that the local network must be reconfigured to continue working is a terrible solution.   One of the main benefits of a mesh is that you don't need to have wiring to every location.  

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1088

Replies: 8