HomeCare vs HomeShield

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

HomeCare vs HomeShield

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
HomeCare vs HomeShield
HomeCare vs HomeShield
2021-10-13 19:11:22
Model: Archer AX50  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Hi Team!I am looking for a new router for my apartment, there are two models on my list: archer AX50 and archer AX72.

I have some problems with understanding HomeCare / Home Shield. Are those two features developed independently to each other? Or maybe Home Shield is designed to replace HomeCare?I am asking as I really like the Antivirus feature available in Home Care but not available in Home Shield but I am wondering if it is a good decision to choose "older" model

Thanks

Options
5 Reply
Re:HomeCare vs HomeShield
2021-10-14 21:58:53

@mpoloq 

HomeCare launched first and is powered by TrendMicro.  It features are discussed here:

HomeShield launched just a few months ago and is powered by Avira.  Its features are discussed here:

While both service do offer fairly comprable features HomeSheild is really designed with IoT in mind and also is a subscription based service, $5.99 per month.  HomeCare did orginally have a plan to be subscription but that was changed about a year ago and is now free for the life of the product. 

Hope that helps 

Options
HomeShield
2021-12-04 02:26:31

@mpoloq 

How do I cancel my home shield pro sub

Thanks

Tiao

Options
HomeShield
2021-12-06 01:41:32

@Tiao 

Hello, if you have subscribed to the HomeShield Pro service, you will be charged automatically based on the selected subscription method (Monthly payment or Yearly payment).

To cancel the automatic subscription service:

For Android: Launch Google Play, tap "Subscription" in the sidebar and find the TP-Link application, click Cancel Subscription to unsubscribe to the continuous subscription.

For iOS: Go to Settings > tap Apple ID > click on Subscribe > select the TP-Link application > tap the Cancel button to unsubscribe to the continuous subscription.

Options
2021-12-09 18:45:57

@Carl In the event that someone at tp-link would like some feedback, I'm in the market for a new router to replace my tp-link m9+ that came with free home-something or other, antivirus, ddos, iot protection. And I bought it for that reason.

In replacing that, I want the same functionality. But there's no way I'm paying $70-100/year for it when other companies still offer it for free.

So, based on that and that alone, tp-link is not a company I'm considering, since I'd have to buy an old product that won't get updated to get the free non subscription version.

I know folks love the idea of pulling in $ every month from what is traditionally a pay-up-front device, but that won't be happening in this household.

Options
2021-12-09 23:32:55

@cfb 

Here's the thing.  The Deco M9+ is still available.  As are other routers that have HomeCare on them.  This article is to explain the difference between the two security suites.  While i do not know the long term plan for HomeCare, I do know that it is still an active service on active product and that it will remain free to use.  

HomeShield while some of the features are similar it is more geared toward an IoT enviroment. It has more advanced and power user functionality, with more detailed reporting.  This is where the value for the subscription really comes in.  Also it features a network scanner to ensure your network is protected.  These functions are not avialable in HomeCare.    

Options

Information

Helpful: 2

Views: 14900

Replies: 5

Related Articles