1 year ownership of A7 v5.0 and hate it

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-11-02 23:10:15
Model: Archer A7  
Hardware Version: V5
Firmware Version: latest

After about 1 year of owning this router, and I hate it.  I feel like al lthe features are a lie because of how poorly it iwas implamewnted or the horrible GUI it's wrapped around. (This is mostly a rant, but would love for someone at TP-link to slap their engineers and say LOOK!)

It' can not even tell you who's using al lthe bandwitch, or how much bandwith you've used.  The best you could posible do  go through the very slow GUI and Advance -> Traffic and try going through it's pages, manually write down the devices and bandwith (because they prevent you from highliging text) and go throug this very painfull gui and very painfull process and even then, this is total usage, not just internet.

Want to monitor kids, well, sorry, that interface is pretty crap to, just adding devices to the list they don't really try very hard to give you somethig besides IP/and their wrong version of a mac address. And once you have a list, well it wont really show you what they are goign to or spending time on, just kind of a snipit of a few partial URL's. They cut the URL's short so you dont even get the full URL, no way to see the whole thing, or to see an actualy list of IP's/domains/URL's.  So the list is dominated with the antivirus or windows update, etc.  Not a list of an actual site.  You also are not made aware if they attempted to get to anything you blacklisted. The list of URL's are also for the group not per device, try to put each kid device you find you can have a max group of 6.....

Want to lock down the guest network, well sorry, that side of thigns are even more limited and broken. Like giving it a different ip/subnet, nope. But it does have this hanely little option to prevent it from talking with the rest of the network, including the DNS/dhcp server.....

Oh sure, you can view logs, but they are so limited in scope just made made usless.

Want to allwo kids to see status of router but not admin, sorry, nope. Only 1 account.

Oh, and actually writing code preventing people from making sure of secure user/password just shows off TP-link engineeers thought process.

my 802.11g router from like 2005 while it didn't claim to have all these features, those that it did have, it had way way better. It's guest network setting actually fully worked. I could actualy view how much data went out to internet. I could actualy see all the devices on a single screen and cut and paste(couldn't sort but because it's presentation was crap it was a total non issue).  I could actually have a non admin login, even ssh access and other things for access to logs.

All the features you list end up being mostly usless lies.

-Does it really count to have Parental controls What good is the parental controls if it actualy doesn't show me anything.

-Does it really have a guest network if it doesn't let you make use of features that make a guest network a guest network? (the ability, or the abilioty w/o breaking things)

-Does it really have good security when it has a single user for everything and breaks the ability to use/manage secure accounts?

.. sorry I can go on and on. But not even being able to see how much internet data is being used is just cake on top of it's horibly slow and usless GUI.

Options
1 Reply
Re:1 year ownership of A7 v5.0 and hate it
2021-11-03 00:12:34
FYI, looks like there was an update that y router didn't know about, updated, and it almost makes the parental thing work, lomnger url, and I can see more than the 5 things and see more of that URL. it still has many of the other limitations in place. Same with al lthe other stuff. No way to see how much internet badwith gets used ,or how much per device, etc.
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 519

Replies: 1

Related Articles