Connect router to Xfinity Hotspot without Ethernet for setup

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-12-05 01:14:04
Model: Archer AX50  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version:

I need to connect a router to Xfinity hotspots during travel (without using Ethernet for setup)

I purchased a TP link Archer Ax50. I'm thinking I might have to return it if I can't figure this out. My job requires a hard wire connection, in order to access their VPN, to then access the programs on my laptop. I am hoping there's a way to connect the router to Xfinity hotspots without using an Ethernet cord; because wherever I end up staying, chances are, won't have an Ethernet connection in the rooms. I've placed many calls and keep getting "no" for an answer when I inquire about it. I chose this AX50 router for it's pricing & features for speed improvement, because I need all I can get, in order to have a good enough quality connection for receiving and placing calls 8+ hours a day. Even when I'm home and hard wired to my Xfi highest speed package (by a 50 ft Ethernet to a separate room), once I'm connected to the job's Vpn, my speed goes from 800 mbps to about 60-75 mbps! Please help! Any suggestions are welcome, even on suggested devices to purchase, that will get me the best speed. Thanks.

Options
3 Reply
Re:Connect router to Xfinity Hotspot without Ethernet for setup
2021-12-06 11:51:22

@MeliJo 

Hi, the Archer AX50 supports regular router mode and AP mode only, as I checked from the user manual, it does not support the WDS bridging function, so it can not connect to Xfinity hotspots by wireless to boost wifi signal. 

As per your description, it seems that you are looking for a portable router, such as WR902AC, there is a Hotspot Mode (WISP Mode), you can check if this is what you need:

https://www.tp-link.com/home-networking/wifi-router/tl-wr902ac/

Options
2021-12-06 13:49:20

@Kevin_Z  I ended up getting AX6000 per a TPlink tech recommendation, but it's not the easiest for me to set it up that way too. I guess it's not the best I'll need either huh? I need the most speed boost I can get. 

Kevin_Z wrote

@MeliJo 

Hi, the Archer AX50 supports regular router mode and AP mode only, as I checked from the user manual, it does not support the WDS bridging function, so it can not connect to Xfinity hotspots by wireless to boost wifi signal. 

As per your description, it seems that you are looking for a portable router, such as WR902AC, there is a Hotspot Mode (WISP Mode), you can check if this is what you need:

https://www.tp-link.com/home-networking/wifi-router/tl-wr902ac/

Options
2021-12-07 02:09:51 - last edited 2021-12-07 02:10:23

@MeliJo 

AX6000 does support WDS, you can try to use WDS to connect to the Xfinity Hotspot wifi to see if you can connect to it. Below is the guide you can refer to when configuring WDS on the AX6000:

https://static.tp-link.com/upload/manual/2021/202108/20210810/1910013051_Archer%20AX6000(US)%201.0_UG_REV1.2.0.pdf (Page 98)

However, if this doesn't help, I guess you will need to get a portable router as I suggested previously. As you can see in this thread, we have provided some troubleshooting suggestions when connecting a portable router to Xfinity Hotspot wifi:

[Solution] TL-WR902AC Won't Connect to Hotel Wi-Fi

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1630

Replies: 3

Related Articles