Tether login failed. Phone not on same subnet?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-12-30 04:02:23
Model: RE605X  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

My re605x, extending my archer ax6000, often has an issue where I can't login to it through the Tether app. I get the error below. I'm on my wifi. The extender is set to be assigned a specific IP by the router. The only way around it usually is to reboot the router and the extender in the right order, which I usually get wrong the first time. I also can't login through the web either by going to that assigned IP.  Sometimes, I can switch my phone to mobile data and sign into it as a cloud device in the Tether app, but not every time. Router and extender both have the latest firmware. 

Any thoughts on a fix that doesn't interrupt all of my connected devices due to reboots?

52b8e8dbbdf141fdace01067602a7281

Options
4 Reply
Re:Tether login failed. Phone not on same subnet?
2021-12-31 10:26:15 - last edited 2021-12-31 10:33:24

Hello @JWikoff 

Thank you for your detailed post. 

1. Please confirm RE and router firmware are both up to date and monitor the performace

RE605X firmware :  https://www.tp-link.com/support/download/re605x/#Firmware

AX6000 firmware:  https://www.tp-link.com/support/download/archer-ax6000/

2. Change Router's DNS to 8.8.8.8, save and reboot router

3. Connect to phone to local Wi-Fi network (Router Wi-Fi or Extender Wi-Fi network) and see if error is gone?

4. Make sure phone VPN is off 

Can you help provide some case details to locate the issue: 

1. When error occurs, is your phone  connected to local Wi-Fi network (Router Wi-Fi or Extender Wi-Fi network) or using LTE mobile data? 

2. If error occurs when phone is in Local network : Check the IP address of RE, when error occurs, try  to ping RE's IP address on your phone and share ping test result.

- RE's IP address could be found on router DHCP client list Or  Tether APP->tap the icon of RE

- Download a Ping test app on your phone, and ping RE IP  How to Use the Ping Command under local network

Can you provide the firmware & hardware of router and RE, and what is the time point when issue last time happen, e,g 9:52AM GMT.

Options
2022-01-04 16:17:34

@Solla-topee 

Thanks for your help.

1. My AX6000 did indeed have a recent firmware update become available.  The app for some reason didn't see it and I had to download it for manual update.  After update, the problem persists.

2. Tried the 8.8.8.8 and the problem persisted, as well my internet in general became a bit choppy while video streaming.

3. Connected to phone to local Wi-Fi, problem persisted.

4. No VPN 

1. It can occur both on local wifi and cellular mobile.  Sometimes going on cellular will let me login.

2. I have not tried pinging specifically, but when I try to go to the IP to login to the web interface, it does not respond/load when the issue is happening.

Archer AX6000 v1.0 1.2.5 Build 20211208 Rel.49262

RE605x v1.0 1.0.4 Build 20210507 Rel.151958

I'll get the specific time when it happens again.  Usually within a day or two.

Options
2022-01-05 01:00:26

@JWikoff Thank you for sharing all the detailed info, this issue sounds unusual. I would like to escalate the case through email, please check your inbox later,  and feel free to let us know how it goes. Thank you!

Options
2022-01-08 22:26:30

@Solla-topee 

It's happening right now at 4:26 pm central.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1831

Replies: 4