Device connected (via ethernet) to RE450 not showing up on Tether client list

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-01-20 15:24:08
Model: RE450  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

When I use the Tether app (very handy by the way, thanks) to try to find the IP address of an ethernet-only device that's connected to the RE450, I can see 6 clients, but none of them are my ethernet-only device.

Long story short, I need to know the IP address of that device so that I can use our primary router to assign a static IP to it (I've seen those instructions on this board).  Once I do that I can properly do port forwarding to the ethernet-only device.

The RE450 is right now assigned a static ip on the localhost of x.x.x.25.  Does the ethernet-only device share that same x.x.x.25 IP address somehow with the router, or does it have its own IP address?  I just flat out cannot find that device in Tether nor on my router's connected device list (it seems it doesn't have an IP with the router right now).

I DO know it's connected though because I can remote into it with a local diagnostic utility, and it gets inbound and outbound connections.

Options
4 Reply
Re:Device connected (via ethernet) to RE450 not showing up on Tether client list
2022-01-21 01:39:57 - last edited 2022-01-21 01:40:23

Hello @LittleRedHen 

1.  (Recommended) To assign static IP(IP reservation) on router for devices connected to range extender, try to  manually configure static IP on a device itself 

All the IP address are assigned by main router, if those devices does show up on Router DHCP client list (nor on tether app RE client list), sometimes that is because Clients are already on manually -configured static IP: 

How to configure TCP/IP Properties of the Wireless Connection on my computer (Windows XP,Vista,7,8,10,Mac)?

You may also need contact the device manufacture to learn about how to manually set up static IP. 

2. Or you could assign static IP(set IP reservation) on router for device's  'virtual' MAC address  (*for devices do not need to roam between Router and RE, not suitable for mobile devices need to switch between RE and router WiFis. )

Range extender working as a Proxy will create a virtual MAC address  (which is the MAC address showed up on router) for the clients like laptops and mobile devices, and you could reverse an IP for using the virtual MAC address on router.  Here is a related FAQ that may help:

https://www.tp-link.com/support/faq/2019/

Hope the above helps~

Options
Re:Device connected (via ethernet) to RE450 not showing up on Tether client list
2022-01-21 02:44:39

Thanks @Solla-topee but the problem is the device doesn't show up on Tether, nor on my router's IP table.  I can't find its MAC anywhere either, not on Tether or on the router's list.

It's literally like it's full stealth mode.  I know for a fact it's getting data because I can connect to it on my wireless with a 3rd party app, but its IP or MAC address aren't showing up anywhere.

I even tried to look through the ARP tables on my computer and it's not visible there either.

Options
2022-01-21 07:56:26

Hello @LittleRedHen 

1.  Can I know what are this device can't been seen , and your network topology? Do you have any smart switch in your network; 

e.g. Router Model XX <WiFi>RE -<Ethernet>-Switch -<Ethernet>-3  Dell PC 

2. Please check if those device get IP address automatically from DHCP or you have manually configured static IP at the FAQ I shared above.

3. Can you bypass RE and connect device directly to router and see if the device shows up on router client list, thank you.  

Options
2022-01-21 12:35:22 - last edited 2022-01-21 13:28:41

@Solla-topee the device is a wireless 900 Mhz radio that bridges between our local internet and a local 900 Mhz network.

Our overall network involved the cable modem (which acts only in bridge mode) connected to the primary router (Netgear R6700 v3).

Multiple ethernet hubs are connected on various lines from that router for a few computers in the house.

Wirelessly most other devices in the house connect to the router.

The RE450 is one of those devices connected wirelessly on a higher floor.  Multiple devices connect to it and work fine wirelessly.

The device in question is connected to the RE450 by ethernet cable (trying to maximize reliability since it's the farthest from the extender).  It used to be connected wirelessly and worked flawlessly, getting its own IP address on the network just fine.

All devices on the network (including those connected to the RE450) receive their IP addresses automatically from DHCP.  I used to have the device in question on a static IP but removed that static IP once I realized it was no longer showing up on the network list.

I cannot bypass the RE at this time, it's too far for the wifi to reliably reach to the primary router, and it's also on another floor such that I cannot connect it directly via ethernet (believe me, I much rather would do that).

edit:  Also I just reset the RE450 to factory default settings.  When I look in Tether, it's telling me it has an IP address of 192.168.1.21 in the app (which is the same as it was telling me before I did a factory default reset).  But when I look on my router's connected devices list, it shows one of our laptops on 192.168.1.21.

also also:  I've tried to assign a static IP to the device's MAC (both wifi and ethernet), and neither of them are getting an IP.  However I just connected my cellphone to the extended 2.4 Ghz network and it was instantly assigned an IP address (and the MAC showing up on the router is completely different than the phone's actual IP).

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1188

Replies: 4

Related Articles