Looking to extend my new Starlink setup using TPLINK tools

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-02-28 01:19:32

Gurus,

I'm changing from an ATT internet service, which has been spotty for 6 years to Starlink and requesting GURU help on certain needsfor extending coverage.

1. The Starlink router signals "weak" just going the 30 feet and perhaps one wall on the 5ghz network, signal is medium strength on the 2.4ghz channel. Looking for a TPLINK extender that will work to give a stronger signal in the other 1/2 of the house. 

2. Our house is about 40 feet from a tin/aluminum/metal garage where we work. It also needs internet. The computer there is 20 feet inside from the metal outer wall. Looking for TPLINK product(s) that'll get me going in this scenario. I do have a hard line ethernet wire that runs underground to the garage which ATT used. Or perhaps just a distance wifi solution would work with TPLINK products?

3. We have two outside sheds that are workshops and also need internet access. Both are roughly 20 ft from the main house. How do a get strong signals to those from the inside Starlink router which barely gets 40 feet accross the house? 

BTW, Starlink reportedly supports bypassing their router. Not sure if that would help with TPLINK equipment. 

1000 thanks for any help in figuring out what is needed for the above access extensions from a Starlink router!

-Brian

Ramona CA 

Options
7 Reply
Re:Looking to extend my new Starlink setup using TPLINK tools
2022-02-28 19:35:44

@brian_ramona 

The materials of your exterior buildings is going to be a problem.  Metal walls can greatly reduce the the effectivness of a wireless signal.  Also 5GHz already has a lower range than 2.4GHz.  Think of it like a tatical flashlight. The narrow beam is 2.4GHz.  This allows for a beam (signal) go further but covers a reduced area.  The 5GHz is the wide beam.  Covers a larger area but has a reduced range.    I would recommend a Deco system.  The reason for this is that its multple devices that can interconnect to each other to expand the wireless signal.  Also you can connect units via Ethernet so the conduit you have to the workshed can be used and you won't have to worry about the walls.  Aslo later this year we have models specifically designed for outdoor use comming out so they can be added to help expand.  

Options
2022-02-28 20:27:42
Many thanks Carl! I'll look into it.
Options
2022-03-01 23:08:39

Carl wrote

@brian_ramona 

The materials of your exterior buildings is going to be a problem.  Metal walls can greatly reduce the the effectivness of a wireless signal.  Also 5GHz already has a lower range than 2.4GHz.  Think of it like a tatical flashlight. The narrow beam is 2.4GHz.  This allows for a beam (signal) go further but covers a reduced area.  The 5GHz is the wide beam.  Covers a larger area but has a reduced range.    I would recommend a Deco system.  The reason for this is that its multple devices that can interconnect to each other to expand the wireless signal.  Also you can connect units via Ethernet so the conduit you have to the workshed can be used and you won't have to worry about the walls.  Aslo later this year we have models specifically designed for outdoor use comming out so they can be added to help expand.  

@Carl 

Could you possibly recommend some models for my situation?:

1. strengthen Starlink router signal to rest of home (60 ft) and to two outbuildings roughly 20 feet from house and 70-80 feet from in-house router.

2. third outbuilding is metal/tin building 60 ft from home (and in-home router) but wired ethernet connection available between the two buildings.

There are a lot of TPLink products... I'm having a hard time determining what to pick. I saw your other posts about the one-way limitations of Range Extenders so ruling them out. I think I need a Powerline or Mesh system but need it to support items 1 and 2 above. Assuming I should take advantage of my existing ethernet to the large workshop, but then need a wifi caster in that space. I currently have an old TPLink Archer C7 in there which may be ok for that space, but not sure. 

Which specific products would you recommend for this full setup?

d26cefbfc1094d0883f3d7494fa4c168

Options
2022-03-02 01:47:34

@brian_ramona 

Let me consult with my QA team and I will get back to you soon.  

Options
2022-03-11 19:45:35

Carl wrote

@brian_ramona 

Let me consult with my QA team and I will get back to you soon.  

@Carl 

checking back on the kind offer to help me decide which TPLink products would be a good fit for my situation. 

Options
2022-03-14 17:00:45

@brian_ramona 

Hello Brian,

I didn't get anything yet.  I have reached back out and will let you know as soon as they respond. 

Options
2022-03-14 18:01:24

Many thanks  @Carl 

I look forward to knowing what would be a good solution for my setup. 

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 437

Replies: 8

Related Articles