How To Connect Two RE450 (or wireless access point) Via Ethernet?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-02-28 15:22:23 - last edited 2022-02-28 15:27:43
Model: RE450  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

I have an RE 450 extender connected to my TL-WDR3600 router. I want to connect it to another RE450 extender or appropriate device (wireless access point?) via Ethernet.

One RE450 (#1) will be in my attic directly over and connected wirelessly to my TL-WDR3600 router in my office.

The second device (#2) will be 25' away in my attic. I want to connect it to RE450 #1 via Ethernet. I want the LAPTOP in the room beneath #2 to connect to it wirelessly.

Is this possible? If yes, what is the recommended device for #2? What are the configuration settings? Is PoE available form the RE450?

Connection Diagram:

ROUTER <-wiressless-> RE450 (#1) <-ethernet-> DEVICE #2 <-wireless-> LAPTOP

Options
3 Reply
Re:How To Connect Two RE450 (or wireless access point) Via Ethernet?
2022-02-28 18:54:21

@DFW_Mark 

All you would need to do is connect both extenders in AP mode to the router via Ethernet.   Keep in mind that the extenders themselves will be seperate APs, even if you assign the same SSID and password as your router uses you will still have 3 seperate APs in your network.  I would suggest a different SSID for each to ensure that your client devices do not have any connectivity issues.  

Options
2022-02-28 18:58:34
Thank you for your reply, but I don't want to connect Either device to the router via Ethernet - that's what I'm trying to avoid. I don't want to run Ethernet through walls or ceilings.
Options
2022-02-28 19:21:09

@DFW_Mark 

I misunderstood what you were asking then.  You would then have to use RE mode to connect the range extenders to the source.  While in RE mode the ethernet port on the extenders is for client devices they do no provide POE nor is it recommended to connect one RE to the other, regardless of mode.  The connection rate and speed on the 2nd adapter would be to small to be effective. 

What you would need to do if you have the need for 2 extenders is setup one in RE mode to the router, then power it down and setup the 2nd one.  Then power up the frist one.  This would ensure that you do not daisy chain the extenders, which would reduce the effectivness of the 2nd extender.  

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 688

Replies: 3

Related Articles