How to disable Avira requests? NOT-LOCKED

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-03-21 23:12:02 - last edited 2022-03-26 21:56:25
Model: Archer AX55  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.0.7 Build 20220120 rel.74083(5553)

Interesting that the other thread got locked without a definitive answer. Any bets as to whether the same happens here?

I really like this router. But if it's a source of undue anxiety, it has to go.

I've asked tech support twice now what the status is regarding HomeShield/Avira. Both times I got the impression they've been trained (Directed?) to dummy up and act like it's a non-issue.

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:How to disable Avira requests? NOT-LOCKED-Solution
2022-03-26 21:56:05 - last edited 2022-03-26 21:56:25

@sweller 

I wasn't going to bother responding to this thread again because:

1. It's not my job to do TP-Link's troubleshooting.

2. TP-Link doesn't pay me enough to do their troubleshooting.

3. I'm still offended by the way I was regarded the last time I was in chat with this issue.

But I'm so pleased with myself for resolving this issue that I felt justified and privileged to come back here to gloat and pat myself on the back for figuring this out myself. And in spite of what TP-Link's L2 technician says, no you DON'T have to plug, unplug, and swap cables around. I don't know what TP-Link pays an L2 technician, but the first thing they should teach them is how to say, "I don't know." Otherwise, it makes them look ignorant and it makes TP-Link look unprofessional.

It saddens me that it came to this because I literally have a houseful of TP-Link devices. The AX55 won't be one of them because I have a competitor's unit being delivered tomorrow. So I figured, what the heck. I have nothing to lose. And I set about methodically changing settings and reading between the lines in the User's Guide until I achieved success. And yes, I can click on shortcuts to access both the modem and the NAS.

Sometimes life is good.

Recommended Solution
Options
10 Reply
Re:How to disable Avira requests? NOT-LOCKED
2022-03-21 23:56:56 - last edited 2022-03-22 01:32:18

@sweller 

This concern was under investigation. The reason the thread was lock was to control the traffic and limit constant updates to the system.  We now have more details we can share and have created a Official Annoucement regarding this concern.  

Please click here to view

Options
2022-03-22 00:42:43 - last edited 2022-03-22 01:32:18

Thank you, Carl. That was very timely. And fortuitously, my AX55 had a firmware update ready to go.

Sadly though, and I suggested this to support as a way to appease the nay-sayers, If there were two switches under the HomeShield tab:

1) Yes, please. Opt me in.

2) No thank you. Opt me out.

Yes?

Options
2022-03-23 22:04:01

@sweller 

Caveat Emptor!

After updating the firmware, I can no longer reach the modem's "Web Manager" (Arris S33) or the NAS's (Synology DS116) interface page.

An L2 agent insisted that the above operations must be done directly from PC to device without the router in between.

Really?!? Doesn't that sound convenient? Irrespectively, that was not the case before the firmware update. And so, this WiFi Router that I really liked is going back to Amazon.

Options
2022-03-24 02:27:51

sweller wrote

@sweller 

Caveat Emptor!

After updating the firmware, I can no longer reach the modem's "Web Manager" (Arris S33) or the NAS's (Synology DS116) interface page.

An L2 agent insisted that the above operations must be done directly from PC to device without the router in between.

Really?!? Doesn't that sound convenient? Irrespectively, that was not the case before the firmware update. And so, this WiFi Router that I really liked is going back to Amazon.

@sweller 

As far as I can confirm, Arris S33 should use 192.168.100.1 by default, is it the IP address that you were trying to reach its interface page?

How about the NAS IP, is it connected to the AX55 LAN port directly and getting an IP address automatically? Are you able to ping that IP on the computer or phone that is connected to the AX55 as well?

I understand both sounds abnormal since you were able to reach the interface pages but not now after installing the beta firmware, I would like to escalate the case to the support engineers to investigate further once you confirm the above information, thank you.

Options
2022-03-24 02:52:15

@Kevin_Z "...after installing the beta firmware..."

Forgive me but I just had a serious senior moment mixed with major anxiety attack.

That was beta? How do you know, please? Should I have known that?

(I probably already know the answers.)

Options
2022-03-24 03:14:26

@sweller 

Sorry that you were not aware of that before installing the firmware in the provided FAQ, but please don't worry, even though that is a beta firmware and it’s not been officially released yet, it’s assured to resolve the Avira request issue, and it’s safe to use on your device.

Options
2022-03-24 03:25:34

Kevin_Z wrote

@sweller 

As far as I can confirm, Arris S33 should use 192.168.100.1 by default, is it the IP address that you were trying to reach its interface page?

How about the NAS IP, is it connected to the AX55 LAN port directly and getting an IP address automatically? Are you able to ping that IP on the computer or phone that is connected to the AX55 as well?

I understand both sounds abnormal since you were able to reach the interface pages but not now after installing the beta firmware, I would like to escalate the case to the support engineers to investigate further once you confirm the above information, thank you.

@Kevin_Z 

192.168.100.1 is correct for the modem.

The NAS is connected to the AX55 directly and, I presume, is getting its IP from the router.

Synology provides an "Assistant" that resides on my desktop. With that I can issue a WOL. Still works for what it's worth.

I am able to ping it:

C:\WINDOWS\system32>ping 192.168.100.1

Pinging 192.168.100.1 with 32 bytes of data:
Reply from 192.168.100.1: bytes=32 time=3ms TTL=63
Reply from 192.168.100.1: bytes=32 time=2ms TTL=63

Ping statistics for 192.168.100.1:
    Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
    Minimum = 2ms, Maximum = 3ms, Average = 2ms

Options
Re:How to disable Avira requests? NOT-LOCKED-Solution
2022-03-26 21:56:05 - last edited 2022-03-26 21:56:25

@sweller 

I wasn't going to bother responding to this thread again because:

1. It's not my job to do TP-Link's troubleshooting.

2. TP-Link doesn't pay me enough to do their troubleshooting.

3. I'm still offended by the way I was regarded the last time I was in chat with this issue.

But I'm so pleased with myself for resolving this issue that I felt justified and privileged to come back here to gloat and pat myself on the back for figuring this out myself. And in spite of what TP-Link's L2 technician says, no you DON'T have to plug, unplug, and swap cables around. I don't know what TP-Link pays an L2 technician, but the first thing they should teach them is how to say, "I don't know." Otherwise, it makes them look ignorant and it makes TP-Link look unprofessional.

It saddens me that it came to this because I literally have a houseful of TP-Link devices. The AX55 won't be one of them because I have a competitor's unit being delivered tomorrow. So I figured, what the heck. I have nothing to lose. And I set about methodically changing settings and reading between the lines in the User's Guide until I achieved success. And yes, I can click on shortcuts to access both the modem and the NAS.

Sometimes life is good.

Recommended Solution
Options
2022-07-19 16:18:10

Dear Tp-link support

Has this issue been resolved?

Options
2022-07-19 16:50:39

@Lada_X50 

I suppose it depends on who you ask.

Since being surprised with a beta version of firmware, they have formally released another version. I have updated my firmware accordingly with no obvious anomalies.

FWIW - And because we suffer from Digital Paranoia Disorder, I adhere tenaciosly to this philosophy:

1. If you didn’t go looking for it, don’t install it!
2. If you installed it, update it.
3. If you no longer need it, remove it.

Thus, my router firmware falls under number 2. 

Also, FWIW - TP-Link *hardware* is about the most robust and reliable I have in use.

I hope that helps.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1144

Replies: 10

Related Articles