ATT (Arris) BGW210 Gateway/Router and TP-Link RE450 V1.0 Connection Issue

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-04-05 03:37:13
Model: RE450  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: v1

1 of 5

I recently bought a used TP-Link RE450 range extender. About a year ago we switched to ATT fiber optic (U) service. Prior to that I used my own gateway modem/router. I had another older TP-Link extender and it worked. After ATT installed installed their Gateway I couldn't get it to work. I could connect my devices to the extender and could see the extender, but I couldn't connect to the internet. So I gave up for a while. It was an older model that I had gotten on sale. I assume it was a model that had been replaced and figured with the new equipment it was now obsolete.

More recently before I went out and got a new one, I did some looking around online. I had seem some rumbling that most extenders don't work with ATT gateways, but others said check the gateway protocol of the gateway and the extender. The 802.11 numbers and letters. So I found the manual and downloaded it. The two units use the same protocols. I went ahead and ordered one, but I did hedge my bets a little in that I ordered a used one that was said to work. 

The gateway does have PWS and I could hook it up that way. The computers can see and connect to the range extender, but I can't connect. So I reset the range extender with a pin, several times. I then tried logging in and setting it up with the extenders IP address. Again, it can see it, seemingly it can hook up to 5G or 2.4 ghz both, but when I get done running the wizard it doesn't connect to the internet.

Options
8 Reply
Re:ATT (Arris) BGW210 Gateway/Router and TP-Link RE450 V1.0 Connection Issue
2022-04-05 03:38:05

2 of 5

So I did some more digging on this and in some TP-Link guidance it says:

To solve this problem, please follow the steps below:

1.Log in to your router and disable the MAC filter, wireless access control or ACL.

Note: For more information about how to disable your router’s MAC filter, wireless access control or ACL, please refer to your router’s user guide.

2.Power on your extender, and run the Quick Setup to configure your extender.

3.Connect all of your devices to the extended network, and make sure the router’s Link LED remains lit.

4.On your router, add all the Online Devices’ MAC addresses to your router’s MAC filter table.

5.Enable the router’s MAC filter, wireless access control, or ACL to complete the configuration.

Options
2022-04-05 03:38:48

3 of 5

I was able to find MAC filtering buried in the settings but it was disabled.

I did connect to the extender and go to the setup IP address and found this for the 2.4Ghz

TP-LINK MAC ADDRESSES

Channel 2 MAC A4-2B-B0-E6-7A-...

Channel 36 MAC A4-2B-B0-E6-7A-...

Options
2022-04-05 03:39:33

4 of 5

I did see where I can change to disable to allow the addresses added ot a list of deny access to addresses on a list. I was going to add them and set it to allow, but I didn't know all the MAC addresses of all the devices that use the network on a regular basis and was afraid with adding them all to the list I'd lock them out. 

So maybe someone can guide me in this.Can this extender work with the ATT gateway at all? and/or what settings or what can I do to get it to work? I've seen some other posts on this subject, but no replies. Hopefully TP-Link is monitoring this. ATT is a big player at least in the US, lots of people have U service and/or use their equipment. If this doesn't work it should be well known. Years ago, long before fiber optics, ATT provided a "Two Wire" gateway. It just didn't work with my Linux computer. I got a third party one, and it just worked. I didn't make any changes or do any special setup for the computer or the gateway.

Options
2022-04-05 03:43:37

5 of 5

Was one message, but got an error message saying text contained illigal links or something like that. No links at all. Edited a few non-links that might have been issues, but other than not telling you as much, it changed nothing. Turning this into several posts makes it harder to read and follow, but I can post it. It sure would make more sense to state up front what the character limit is, list any excluded items like links and then have context sensitive error messages. You know like a message warning me ahead of time I'm approaching the maximum number of characters instead something about non- existent links that are illegal.

Hey, I'm here to try to get some help. I'm already frustrated and tired enough.

Options
2022-04-06 07:51:37

Hello   @eternalether 

As far as I could tell, there isn't any known issue between RE450 and AT&T router.

Can I know the LED status on RE450 V1 after set up?

• If Wi-Fi LEDs are OFF, please examine the Wi-Fi password;
  • if the Wi-Fi LEDs are on you could try to manually configure the RE DHCP & IP setttings 

Here is an article for more detailed troubleshooting steps: 

Has connected to TP-Link extender but no internet, what can I do?

If still the same please help provide some information here 1) RE led status 2) Login RE web page after 3-5mins you set it up, go to Settings-system tools- save system log and share log 3) share a photo of Status page. 

Personally I think you could consider purchasing a new extender and probably return this used device in case its a bad unit.  

Options
2022-04-06 15:13:12

@eternalether 

1 of 2

For the record, I figured this out. In olden times devices came with books or booklets. They cost money and nobody wanted to read them so they replaced them with quick start guides, etc. Why they don’t still put together a full manual and publish it online is beyond me, but generally this isn’t done either.  So a little clue or procedure here or there can be found now and then.

So what I had to do is login to the router setup and get (I just took a screenshot) of the router’s IPv4 and subnet mask values. I then had to via cable login to the extender’s admin setup and set it to use the IPv4 values and subnet mask and set the lease time value of 1440.  That is per the instructions found here (I also saved that as a pdf). Having to refer back and forth to a bunch of links is not much help when you are logged to the extender or router and not the www.  Here is the link describing that: https://www.tp-link.com/us/support/faq/2965/. There terms used for the IPv4 values on the router were a little different than what the extender setup used as well. So that was a little confusing. I don’t mess with this sort of stuff very often so never really have gained much familiarity with it.

Options
2022-04-06 15:20:49

@eternalether 

2 of 2

Something screwing about the TP-Link setup is that after it runs it, it doesn’t say success or anything like that. There is a checkbox that says you are connected that you have to check before can press finish. Since at that point I was  connected directly to the extender via wire, not the www I didn’t know.  So I found this explanation of the lights useful: [sorry can't post this link it is fine but not on their list and is blocked] Just search on TP-Line RE450 what do indicator lights mean. The extenders setup page also listed the stats of the router’s connection to the internet as unknown when I did it this way. Maybe that is tied to using the automatic connection method.

If a set of full instructions was available online I could have saved a lot of time looking around for bits and pieces of useful information all scattered in with lots more bits and pieces that were of no use.

Options
2022-04-11 05:57:18 - last edited 2022-04-11 05:59:33

Hello   @eternalether 

Thank you for sharing your experience with setting up the extender. 

May I know were you able to set up the range extender and get internet from Ext- Wi-Fi network at last ? 

If you need further help, you may also reach local support so they could help guide step by step. 

Options