Devices won't connect with old SSID and password

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-05-16 01:10:03 - last edited 2022-05-18 09:00:38
Model: Archer AX73  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

I just got the AX73, set it up with my previous network name and password, but none of my devices will connect. I tried making sure security was set to WPA2 like my previous router, but that didn't help. Going through and re-configuring my entire smart home device by device is not an option. Any suggestions would be appreciated. 

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Devices won't connect with old SSID and password-Solution
2022-05-17 20:39:11 - last edited 2022-05-18 09:00:38

@JaylanPHNX  I just discovered that this whole thing was the smallest, stupidest mistake. In typing in my network name, the keyboard suggested the correct name, and when I tapped it, that automatically adds a space behind the word. This whole thing was because of an extra space! 😭🤦

Recommended Solution
Options
6 Reply
Re:Devices won't connect with old SSID and password
2022-05-16 23:51:46

@JaylanPHNX Anyone have any ideas? It worked fine with the Deck W6000, but I had other issues with mesh and wanted to try a single router. 

JaylanPHNX wrote

I just got the AX73, set it up with my previous network name and password, but none of my devices will connect. I tried making sure security was set to WPA2 like my previous router, but that didn't help. Going through and re-configuring my entire smart home device by device is not an option. Any suggestions would be appreciated. 

Options
2022-05-17 03:12:13

Hello @JaylanPHNX 

Do you mean you are configuring the same SSID and password settings on the AX73 to be the same as on the old router? If that is the case, was there any error message on the device like unable to connect when trying to connect to the wireless network of the AX73?

Is there a reason why you need to keep the same settings on the AX73? what if you remove the old profile on the devices first, then reconnect to the new SSID, will they connect? Below is the guide to remove a profile on a Windows 10 computer:

How to connect to wireless networks and remove its profile on windows 10?

Options
2022-05-17 10:18:21

@Kevin_Z I was hoping by using the same name and password on my new router, all my devices would automatically connect to the new router (as has been the case in the past) to avoid the daunting task of reconnecting 25+ smart home devices. It seems that may not be an option, though, due to different IP ranges. 

Options
2022-05-17 18:14:36

@JaylanPHNX 

This is a bit out of my wheelhouse, but you may be able to save the network setup by making sure that the IP ranges, DNS settings, and subnets are the same between your previous connection from the modem to your previous router, as they are to the router that you just replaced. I know that when first connecting to a network, the router will try to take an IP from the modem that has not been used before and has no conflict.

When I changed my last router, my entire structure of IPs changed, and I was able to tell by what IP you connect to in order to access the WebUI, at least I think. The devices may not also automatically reconnect to the router if your new router is using a different security protocol.

Someone else, please feel free to join in and correct me if I am mistaken.

Options
Re:Devices won't connect with old SSID and password-Solution
2022-05-17 20:39:11 - last edited 2022-05-18 09:00:38

@JaylanPHNX  I just discovered that this whole thing was the smallest, stupidest mistake. In typing in my network name, the keyboard suggested the correct name, and when I tapped it, that automatically adds a space behind the word. This whole thing was because of an extra space! 😭🤦

Recommended Solution
Options
2022-05-18 08:59:09

@JaylanPHNX 

yes Great. There are cases where we may miss those tiny differences and it could be hard to find out, While you did, great job.laugh

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 550

Replies: 6

Related Articles