RE650 extender internet works with PC, but not iphone or Roku

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-06-11 13:45:57 - last edited 2022-06-14 01:52:24
Model: RE650  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: x

Having problems with connecting RE650 extender internet to iphone and Roku.  Am getting internet from the extender on my PC just fine, but not on iPhone or Roku.  After a few minutes after rebooting the network settings, internet cuts out on the iPhone, even though the phone recognized the router.  Same thing with the Roku.  iPhone has been updated to latest software.  I am seeing "weak security" for the extender in wifi listings.  Is there something I can do to have iPhone and Roku recognize the extender internet and not filter it out.  Is this a settings issue, a router issue, and/or a RE650 issue.  Trying to diagnose but going around this issue in circles...  HELP!

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:RE650 extender internet works with PC, but not iphone or Roku-Solution
2022-06-12 23:03:57 - last edited 2022-06-14 01:52:24

@FDW-NM 

Hi.  Problem solved.  Took awhile to figure this out but the instructions are kind of out there in pieces...

1.  Made sure the antenna arms were pointing up. (Originally had them perpendicular).  Roku started to work then.

2.  Umplugged router for 120 seconds, then plugged back in.

3.  On my PC, Logged on to the extender's tp link webpage by opening google and connecting to the extender.  Followed instructions to enter extender password and a few other steps that the site walked me through, and picked highest level of security available (WPA 2).

4.  Unplugged the extender for a minute and plugged it back in.  

5.  Entered extender password on iPhone and other devices as needed.

6.  Now working as advertised.

all if this was after I originally paired the extender to the router.  I guess if you have an iPhone you may need to reboot the router to have the router reset the IP addresses, etc as the router syncs with the extender so the iPhone can then recognize and connect to the router through the extender.

somehow,  other PCs and Roku did not require all these shut down and reboot steps.  May have something to do with security settings on iPhone...?   Wi-Fi extender name still has "weak security" as WPA 2, but it looks like this level is sufficient according to most sites other than Apple that recommends WPA 3, which I'm not sure is available on the re650 version, or maybe the xfinity router we now have.  Will check on this when we replace the router sometime in the distant future...

thank you 

Recommended Solution
Options
3 Reply
Re:RE650 extender internet works with PC, but not iphone or Roku
2022-06-11 16:16:23

@AJXL See WPN thread below.

Options
Re:RE650 extender internet works with PC, but not iphone or Roku-Solution
2022-06-12 23:03:57 - last edited 2022-06-14 01:52:24

@FDW-NM 

Hi.  Problem solved.  Took awhile to figure this out but the instructions are kind of out there in pieces...

1.  Made sure the antenna arms were pointing up. (Originally had them perpendicular).  Roku started to work then.

2.  Umplugged router for 120 seconds, then plugged back in.

3.  On my PC, Logged on to the extender's tp link webpage by opening google and connecting to the extender.  Followed instructions to enter extender password and a few other steps that the site walked me through, and picked highest level of security available (WPA 2).

4.  Unplugged the extender for a minute and plugged it back in.  

5.  Entered extender password on iPhone and other devices as needed.

6.  Now working as advertised.

all if this was after I originally paired the extender to the router.  I guess if you have an iPhone you may need to reboot the router to have the router reset the IP addresses, etc as the router syncs with the extender so the iPhone can then recognize and connect to the router through the extender.

somehow,  other PCs and Roku did not require all these shut down and reboot steps.  May have something to do with security settings on iPhone...?   Wi-Fi extender name still has "weak security" as WPA 2, but it looks like this level is sufficient according to most sites other than Apple that recommends WPA 3, which I'm not sure is available on the re650 version, or maybe the xfinity router we now have.  Will check on this when we replace the router sometime in the distant future...

thank you 

Recommended Solution
Options
Re:RE650 extender internet works with PC, but not iphone or Roku
2022-06-14 01:52:19 - last edited 2022-06-14 01:53:16

@AJXL 

Thank you for sharing the solution here with us! 

Check article here that if IOS device reports  'weak security' when connected to wifi of extender, you could change router security to WPA/WPA2(AES) instead of (TKIP), then factory reset extender and reconfigure it, in this way range extender could sync the security of router.  Also, please confirm range extender is on the latest firmware. 

Why my iOS14 warning weak security when I connect to TP-Link Wi-Fi

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 426

Replies: 3