TPLink Archer T9UH macOS Monterey / Big Sur Driver

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-07-18 21:51:48
Model: Archer T9UH  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version:

I bought this adapter for the sole for two reasons, 1) because your products are reasonably good and 2) because it said it was compatible with mac.  When I live in the year 2022, and this adapter looks pretty modern to me, and a hardware device that says in the store that is compatible with mac means that they will be compatible with the most current version of my OS.  In this case it is Monterey 12.4.0 or at least in the very least macOS Big Sur 11.6.7

So I received my package today, which was meant to be a birthday present for my daughter, we open the box, all very nice, the device looks great, then when we connect it, its not picked up by the OS, this is a warning flag to me.  Then I rummage in the box and I find a CD.  What is this 2005? Who uses a CD in the mac environment in 2022? No one.

Ok fine, I go to the website and download the latest driver without reading because I am assuming its for the latest and greatest.  Tried to install the .pkg, and it's not even signed. I mean come on, that is like a huge security risk, the macOS picks up and thats when I notice that the ONLY supported macOS version are 10.14.x, 10.13 ~ 10.9 So you guys have not written a driver for a whole 6-8 years? Because that is how old those OS's you support are.

In one of the threads I found which was from 2021, one of the mods replied that drivers take a long time to make, that it will be ready by NEXT year, so here we are, we are in NEXT year 2022, where are the D4MN3D drivers? God only knows if there is such a thing.  Do we need to wait another year because you are still catching up with technology, that you are going to release the monterey drivers by 2023 when the ventura drivers should be out.

So this is what I am going to do, I am going to repackage this worthless piece of CR4P, I am going to return it and get my money back and buy some cheap knockoff that will have the proper macOS drivers, and then I am going to write the longest 1-star review Amazon has ever seen, and I am going to make sure that no one falls into the trap and waste of my time this has been for this product.

This just shows that TP-Link doesnt really gives two S***ts about their customer base.  And I am not going to take my review down, doesnt matter how much you beg me to take it down.  Then I'm going to contact a few influencers I know and I am going to tell them to make a review of this device on their macOS computers to see how far they go, and let them drag this adapter through the mud, so maybe the next time you make an adapter, you make sure your engineering team has the drivers out the door before the product hits the shelves.

So thanks for nothing and for wasting my time, and ruining my daughter's birthday present. Never buying from TPLink ever again.

Options
1 Reply
Re:TPLink Archer T9UH macOS Monterey / Big Sur Driver
2022-07-20 19:20:40

@AwfulCitizen 

So you know this post does ride the line of violating our community guidelines.  However, I wanted to ensure you received a response.  When Apple updated its operating system from OSX to OS11.0 and up there were several big feature updates made.  These updates make it very difficult for manufacturers to generate drivers for the new OS systems.  This actually happens more often than you think when an OS shifts from one major update to another.  For example, Windows going from 10 to 11 or Windows 8.1 to 10.  They also bring in the subject of hardware limitations.  For example, your Archer T9UH v2 launched in 2018.  Big Sur didn't launch till 2020.  Your adapter and the chipset it was built around were already 2 years old at the time of Big Sur's launch.  While we acknowledge concerns with providing official drivers for Big Sur and Monterey it is also quite possible for your particular case that drivers can't be provided because the chipset would not support them.  That is something that a customer will always have to deal with when new technology or software advancements take place.  The hardware just isn't compatible.  

Speaking of Chipsets.  It's actually the chipset makers that provide the initial driver for any compatible OS.  Then the manufacturer of the adapter customizes the driver or adds it to their installer programs.  This is why even with our adapters the compatible OS varies greatly.  Some adapters can support Linux and some can't.  Even some are windows only.  It all depends on the chipset that is selected for a product.  

As to purchasing an Adapter in 2022 specifically because it what it says it supports, we do include the versions of supported OS systems in the product's description.  For example for the Archer T9UH, in the bold text description, we say "TP-Link AC1900 USB 3.0 WiFi Adapter for PC(Archer T9UH)- Dual Band Wireless Network Dongle for Desktop with 2.4GHz/5GHz High Gain Antennas, Supports Windows 11/10/8.1/8/7, Mac OS 10.9 - 10.14" This tells a prospective buyer what it does and doesn't work with.  

You are welcome to leave whatever review you feel is appropriate but TP-Link is not at fault here.  We clearly state what OS our adapters are compatible with, at the time they are purchased.  We provide updates when possible which are posted on our official website.  We do understand that major changes in OS systems like Big Sur do create concerns about continued compatibility and we do what we can to address those concerns in an official manner.  Right now we are still waiting for the chipset makers to provide us with Drivers for Big Sur and Monterey.  Until then there is no official support for either of these two operating systems.  Once drivers are available we will be sure to post them to the support pages of the products that are compatible with the updates.  

You can also try this workaround, however it does require you to disable a feature in your OS (SIP) and is not supported by TP-Link.  It would be use at your own risk/discretion.

https://community.tp-link.com/en/home/forum/topic/239134

Options

Information

Helpful: 2

Views: 1133

Replies: 1