Looking for a travel router

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-08-16 21:22:27

I’m WAY NOT an expert on routers, wi-fi, or any of the jargon associated with all this.

I currently have had THREE gl-inet routers.  ONE of them is still working, though not particularly well.

The current routers are a Gl-Inet GL-AR750S-EXT (Slate) and a GL-AR750 Creta.  That’s about all the features I need.  The slate is barely functional (constant crash) and the creta is unstable and marginal.

Time to try a different source. 

I’m looking for a cost effective (cheap), small travel router that connects to a power supply (USB?) and a cell phone and provides wi-fi when traveling – NOT in a hotel.  I’ll be in an RV, using Visible (unlimited, but often slow, spotty, unreliable) with a normal 4G cellphone.  I may go to 5G sometime in the near future, but for the moment, ordinary 4G LTE phone.

I don’t need the router to have Fort Knox security or other wh*z-bang features.  I just need it to take whatever it needs from the cell phone, give me wifi I can connect multiple devices to, CHARGE the cellphone (which the gl-inet routers do POORLY if at all), and not puke all over itself when the data isn’t perfect.  It would also be great if it didn’t take MINUTES to boot.

AND I need to be able to put the equivalent of

iptables -t mangle -I POSTROUTING 1 -j TTL --ttl-set 65

in the router, which appears to change the time-to-live so it’ll run full speed.  The above is from the Gl-Inet, so I’m not sure what it looks like on TP-Link, or where it goes, but as far as I know, the equivalent of the above is needed for any router I’d use.

One I've seen recommended is the TP-Link AC750 Wireless Travel Router(TL-WR902AC).  It meets my goal of cost effective, but will it do the job?  And can I put the necessary “hack” into the router so it’s not throttled?

Options
3 Reply
Re:Looking for a travel router
2022-08-18 11:09:57

Nothing?  Does this mean TP-Link doesn't have anything that'll replace the Gl-Inet routers I've been using?

Options
2022-08-20 13:45:14

@Gracie For the past year I have been traveling with the GL-iNet GL-MT1300 (Beryl)

It was an upgrade from my earlier GL-MT300N (Mango) which traveled many miles with me and was 100% reliable.

Options
2022-08-20 20:31:41

Yeah, I ordered one yesterday after not getting anything in this forum that would make me believe TP-LINK would be any better.  Beryl should be there Monday.  I hope it works significantly better than the other GL-Inet routers I've had when the signal is mediocre or worse (which it almost always is when using Visible), but at least it's cheaper than a new Slate, and supposedly better.

Options