Looking for a router for a bridge?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-01-17 23:50:52

Hello, I am looking for a router to connect to another router.  I need it to be 5ghz, dual band, and gigabit.  I have a router with DD-WRT on it and it is a "Client Bridge" but it is having speed issues.  I'm looking around and I see mention of WDS, but that doesn't work with my DD-WRT so I don't know if that will work with other routers.  I'm unsure of other routers "bridge" modes.

The setup is kinda like this, there is the "office 1" that has the main modem/router with internet.  Then there is "office 2" where I am trying to setup my gaming desktop and a server.  I need office 2 to be connected by gigabit lan, but wirelessly connect to office 1, for internet.  I was wondering if someone could point me in the right direction.  Thanks.

Options
2 Reply
Re:Looking for a router for a bridge?
2020-01-18 15:32:31
If it were me I would consider a mesh system such as the Deco as the WDS as I understand would half the speed. Also there would be less possible issues with the setup with a Mesh system.
Options
Re:Looking for a router for a bridge?
2020-01-20 18:44:24

@Ben_Kenny 

@ArcherC8 is right if you use WDS it would turn that 2nd router into a over-priced range extender and like range extenders while you have a greater coverage area you would have speeds reduced by up to half of that from the main router.  Two options for you are:  wireless Powerline adapters kits or as ArcherC8 stated a Deco Mesh system.   

Options