Request ability to change or prevent WiFi channels

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-08-17 16:29:28
Model: Deco X20  
Hardware Version: V10
Firmware Version: 1.1.3

I would like to limit or change the WiFi channel being used by my Deco X20 Mesh. I understand why the designers don't want to provide this feature, but I have a Zigbee network in my house that overlaps the 2.4 GHz network. I would like to deconflict these networks because it appears my Deco network optimizer is not. 

Options
12 Reply
Re:Request ability to change or prevent WiFi channels
2022-08-17 16:53:24

@James1579,

Thanks for the feedback, this is something that we are seeing a lot of support for in the last couple of weeks, and we are passing your feedback along as we get it.

Out of curiosity, do you ever have problems with your Zigbee Network due to channel overlap or interference? I have both Zigbee and Z-Wave networks in my home, but I don't really have any issues once they have been added to the network. However, trying to add these devices to my controller has only gotten more and more difficult as more devices are being added to my network.

Options
2022-08-17 17:04:30

@Riley_S Thanks for your reply. I only have Zigbee at the moment. No Z-Wave. I seem to be able to add items pretty easily, but the signal strength of the network is not good and the controller is thus missing packets. I have tried adding devices to strengthen the network, but started looking at the signals in my area.    Right now on one end my Wifi is killing the Zigbee channel and on the others the neighbors WiFi is killing the Zigbee Channel. See, I would like to move my WiFi into channels that my not optimize the Wifi, but would optimize my Zigbee network and still have a great WiFi network (maybe just not the optimal). Thanks again for the help. 

Options
2022-08-17 18:11:48 - last edited 2022-08-17 18:13:14

@James1579 

There was a post last week in which the TP-Link representative explained exactly why messing about with the Wi-Fi Channels is not in the Deco Mesh system.  Here is the Knowledgebase link;

https://community.tp-link.com/en/home/forum/topic/154561

Options
2022-11-18 11:12:45

@Riley_S 

I also currently using Ring Products and it seems that unless I am manually able to select the channels it keeps disconnecting as it works on certain channles.

Manual selection would be great, I have the newer X55 and still no option for this and would prefer to be able to select Auto. If the above with Zigbee is an issue, I will start to see these soon as I am setting this up at the moment.

Any idea if this will be an option in the future on the deco Products?

Thx

Options
2022-11-18 11:22:57
This is very Informative, however The Mesh from the understanding of the previous comment is that is should not be messed with, but does its own backend work. This should be separated from the channels used for end users. IE the Mesh should have its own channel and separate it from client access channels, which could be configurable like the guest network. Ubiquiti has this option and works Mesh well too, but far more expensive and not always within reach for normal users.
Options
2022-12-03 08:53:30 - last edited 2022-12-03 08:55:14

@Riley_S The ability to change wifi channels for all frequencies 2.4 GHz, 5 GHz and 6 GHz and all Deco products is badly needed.  These features are already available on the TP-Link Archer routers so I don't see why the Deco products cannot have the same feature.  I understand that Deco units will "automatically" choose the right channel and for some people that it works out and I am all for keeping an "Auto" option for wifi channel selection as the default option but also allow the user to manually select the wifi channel of choice for their Deco router if they so choose.

In my experience, I never see the Deco change wifi channel for 5 GHz and always sits on channel 48 which is annoying.  I use a wifi analyzer to check out the channel congestion in my neighbors and they all use channels 36, 40, 44 and 48.  However channels 149, 153, 157, 161 and 165 are uncongested and I would like the ability to change my wifi channels to those for example on 5 GHz. 

Options
2022-12-10 16:57:06

@flai54 

I have the same experience. My Deco has been stuck on channel 48 since I bought it over a year ago. The claim from TP-Link that it automatically scans and picks an uncongested channel is absolutely false. It's a facade. It just doesn't work.

Options
2023-01-16 18:31:14
Mine as well.
Options
2023-02-02 02:50:51

I agree that changing the wifi channel should be an option.  I have, as my wife likes to say, way too many smart home devices.  My zigbee device count is about 115 now.  If I had known that interference would be such an issue and that I couldn't really do anything about it, I'd have gone with a different router.

Maybe it's wishful thinking on my part, but it appears that this "might" be in the works...

a607634e8bad4e89a0b4044e7456cde7

When I access my router through a browser, I see drop-downs for changing the channels, but they're grayed out.  Maybe, just maybe, we'll get the option soon.

Options
2023-02-02 17:16:11

@wastedmatter,

Not to destroy any hopes, but this is also the same interface from our Archer Series of Routers, so it may just not have been removed when the WebUI was added to the deco line. Saying that, we have received many requests for this, so this may be something that our engineers and developers have been looking at adding, even though it may prove difficult. 

Check out this thread, where another user does a phenomenal job of explaining and breaking down some of the obstacles that come with adding this feature.

https://community.tp-link.com/us/home/forum/topic/597024

Options

Information

Helpful: 4

Views: 1479

Replies: 12