New X55 Install

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

New X55 Install

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
New X55 Install
New X55 Install
2022-12-04 15:15:37 - last edited 2022-12-05 13:21:52
Model: Deco X55  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version: 1.0.8 Build 20220407 Rel. 69854

Just installed new system and whilst it mostly works okay I am experiencing random disconnects which I didn't experience with my prior system and am wondering if there's something odd in the basic setup that I've overlooked. In zoom/teams calls I'll get random but regular audio drop outs and a poor connection message. After about 10-15 seconds it comes back and continues on for a few minutes more then repeats. Same issue with online gaming, constant server disconnects making playing anything distinctly impossible.

Things tested

moved laptop closer to deco unit it was connected to - no better, same issue.

turn off the mesh technology setting in the app - no better, same issue

Turn off WiFi and hard wire laptop directly into the back of the deco unit - no better, same issue.

Ran diagnostics and highlighted network congestion. Ran optimization - no better, same issue.

as far as I know it's the latest firmware (at least that's what the app is telling me). I have not yet played with QoS as I'm starting to wonder if there is a technical issue with the system right out of the box. Frustrating as previous system did not do this and as far as I can tell it's setup okay.

any pointers/assistance would be helpful

update: tried QoS at set the one device that was running teams/zoom calls to have priority - no better, same issue

Options
5 Reply
Re:New X55 Install
2022-12-05 18:17:39

@PSGB,

Two things that I would try first:

Try Disabling, or Manually setting the QoS to what you expect to receive from your ISP. QoS can often cause slowdowns in situations where the service is actually not needed.

Try changing the DNS server on the Deco Network to use either Google's or Cloudflare's DNS addresses. 

Lastly, do you have a modem in front of the Deco Unit, or a Modem that also provides a wireless connection? If the modem is providing a wireless connection, you may need to setup your Decos as Access Points.

Splash into a Smarter Summer - Summer Event and Community Giveaway

Automate and Learn More About Tapo Sub-GHz Sensors, Matter, Apple Home, and Local Smart Actions!

20% Select Sub-G Hubs Available to All Participants! | Get Started Here!
Options
2022-12-05 19:25:57 - last edited 2022-12-05 19:28:02

I’ve had QoS both on and off and so far it’s made no difference. I’ll try the DNS server change and see what happens. Modem is ahead of the Deco unit but no WiFi support from modem.  Thanks

Options
2022-12-05 20:57:15

You mentioned having a prior system. If you are combining different models of Deco, you may have a separate network that did not get eliminated when installing the X55. My X55 had similar problems until I found the separate Deco S4 network and deleted it. It appears to be working fine now with both Deco models. Look in "Change Network" section to confirm.

Options
2022-12-05 22:35:26

@SecretWeapon Thanks for the heads up. Other system was a different manufacturer. Checked the Change Network but nothing there other than what we installed.

Thanks

Options
Re:New X55 Install - solved
2022-12-10 11:59:09

Solved this issue finally. Decided to go back upstream and take a look at the cable modem (Spectrum DocSis). Even though it's passed all their remote tests I asked about replacing it due to the potential issue that the Ethernet port might be the issue. New modem in, problem has gone away, so definitely nothing to do with the deco unit's 🙂

Options

Information

Helpful: 2

Views: 410

Replies: 5

Related Articles