Connecting M5 Deco Mesh to New AT&T Wifi/Modem

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-01-12 11:51:51
Model: Deco M5  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version: 1.6.1 Build 20220818 Rel. 36456

Just switch to AT&T fiber ISP.  Their Router/Wifi is a Nokia Model #BGW320-505.

What is the best setup for using the M5 system with this router?  At first glance it appears the Nokia router has many more features and options than Deco M5. However, this is a home network and nothing too complicated.

I realize the first issue is what Wifi to use for DHCP. What are the pluses and minuses of each option?

Options
5 Reply
Re:Connecting M5 Deco Mesh to New AT&T Wifi/Modem
2023-01-12 17:59:31

@jrbnc 

Ideally, you would want to disable the routing functions on their modem and run the device in bridge mode.  This allows you to run the Deco in router mode and make use of all of its features.  If that is simply not possible then disbale the Nokia's wireless and enable the Deco in AP mode. 

Options
2023-01-12 18:16:55 - last edited 2023-01-12 19:24:15

@Carl 

It appears the modem has this option. Is it the same as Bridge? (appears to be): 

Cascaded Router Enable: When enabled, indicates another router will be behind this device

Cascaded Router Address: The IP address for the router behind this device. The Cascaded Router Address should be in the LAN Private IP subnet range. Use 0.0.0.0 if IP Passthrough is enabled to have the cascaded router get the IP Passthrough address.

What settings from the M5 go here as address(es)?

One other possible issue:  I need to connect whatever I settle with to a switch via Cat6 cable, for other cabled devices I use, such as POE cameras, to be connected to the network. The modem has 3 copper ports. The M5 appears to have two, but one has to go to the modem, correct?

I did a test with Deco in AP mode, and it still showed as having clients. Shouldn't the Deco OR the modem have all the clients, not both?

Options
2023-01-13 15:26:05

@jrbnc 

Yes, bridge mode is another name for modem only.  

To be honest I don't know what Cascaded router mode is.  Its an unfamiliar term to me.  I did look up ATT's forums and found this that might help

https://forums.att.com/conversations/att-internet-equipment/adding-a-cascading-router-to-existing-att-routermodem/5defd9efbad5f2f6068446e2

Options
2023-01-18 14:32:33

@Carl 

I decided to use AP mode in Deco, and turned off the Wifi on the ATT router. Is there anything else I need to do?

Also, I do have Cat6 connections to the ATT router going to devices that required a wired connection. But they are running very very slow! Technically, a 1 Gbps cable should be faster than 300 Mbps wifi. Any suggestions?

Options
2023-01-18 17:30:54

@jrbnc 

To be honest that should be all you have to do.  The Ethernet ports on the Deco units that are still free (only one is used to connect to the host router) can be used to either physically connect the units to each other or for LAN clients.  All of the routing and addressing will still come from the host router.  

Options

Information

Helpful: 1

Views: 412

Replies: 5