Get privileges error when adding BackupTM drive to Time machine preferences.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-02-14 01:09:50
Model: Archer AX1800  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: 2.1.7 Build 20221125 rel.69232(5553)

After setting up a sharing account on the "USB Storage Device" page and enabling Time Machine on the "Time Machine" page and selecting the H: drive which shows the correct capacity, when I try to add the Backup Disk BackupTM to the Time Machine settings on my MacBook running Ventura 13.2 I get the following error:

You do not have the necessary read, write and append privileges on the selected network backup volume.

Does anyone know how to fix this?

Options
6 Reply
Re:Get privileges error when adding BackupTM drive to Time machine preferences.
2023-02-16 17:41:12

@reevesd69,

From everything, it sounds like, you just have not properly logged into the router after setting the time machine service up. You should be prompted for a login when you access the files. I would recommend looking at this FAQ and verifying that the service was set up correctly: How to use Time Machine function on TP-Link routers

Options
2023-02-17 00:05:44

@Riley_S Thanks, but my router setup is more like Case 2There is no Sharing account setup on the router site, only the Read/Write and Read Only access authentication and I have that setup done.

Options
2023-02-17 01:47:50

@reevesd69,

So from what I can tell, it looks like there was something changed in the most recent iOS 13 update that is affecting the ability for some services to detect the disk on the network. Our team released a beta firmware to give to only AX55 v1 Users that would allow them to make a change to settings that may fix the problem.  I would recommend checking for OS updates on your Macbook and installing them as soon as possible; otherwise, I would recommend reaching out to our official live support channels through chat or phone to see if they have beta firmware for your model and can help you through the process.

Options
2023-02-21 03:25:34

Hi @reevesd69 

Sorry for jumping in.

It seems you have already upgraded the router firmware to the latest version, which has already fixed the issue that Time Machine does not work properly on Macos13.1.

Are you saying you are still seeing this error when trying to add the Backup TM drive to Time Machine preferences?

If that is the case, we would like to escalate the case to the support engineers for further analysis. Please check your registered email box and reply.

Thank you very much.

Options
2023-02-21 05:00:24

@Kevin_Z That is correct.  Interestingly, I first selected the G: drive because I hadn't set up the H: drive yet in the preferences.  I was able to add that to the Time Machine preferences without issue but it filled up very quickly.

3190289704524056914a1bad59b20e1c

Options
2023-02-26 05:16:55 - last edited 2023-02-26 23:38:42

I got it working.

I saw this, https://apple.stackexchange.com/questions/127665/you-do-not-have-the-necessary-read-write-and-append-privileges-on-the-selected

and after plugging the disk into my laptop, from the Get Info window for it, I had to unlock it, I gave everyone Read & Write access, and then applied to enclosed items.  After plugging it back into the Router, I was able to add it to Time Machine and complete a backup.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 620

Replies: 6

Related Articles