RE315 as a wired repeater?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-02-24 03:49:28
Model: RE315  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version:

I just bought a new AX5400 (Archer AX73) router and RE315 Range extender.  Both support OneMesh.  My intent was to use the RE315 as a OneMesh wired repeater/access point.  I currently have an older Linksys main router at one end of the house, wired ethernet to a TP Link TL-WA801ND configured as a repeater in the garage at the other end of the house.  This covers my whole house and most of the yard with good signal.

I wanted to just upgrade the old Linksys with the AX73 and the 801ND with the RE315, but it is not clear how to configure the RE315. I hoped to have seamless transfer of devices between the wireless locations assuming the OneMesh would do that.  I don't get good enough wireless signal in the garage from the main router to make it a totally wireless repeater.  I have the ethernet connection, but one reference said the RE315 can't use it as a "backhaul" in a mesh arrangement.

Is my only choice to setup the RE315 as an AP and give the same network SSID's and passwords?  Any guidance appreciated.  

Options
2 Reply
Re:RE315 as a wired repeater?
2023-03-01 02:12:49

@Nstanton62 

Hi, welcome to the community.

So far, OneMesh only supports wireless Backhaul. So when RE315 is wired to the AX73, it no longer supports OneMesh anymore.

Configuring RE315 as an AP and giving the same network SSID's and passwords as Archer AX73 would be a nice workaround.

Or since you just bought Archer AX73, you could also have a look at our Deco Mesh products that are capable of Ethernet Backhaul:

https://www.tp-link.com/us/deco-mesh-wifi/product-family/

Best regards.

Options
Re:RE315 as a wired repeater?
2023-03-05 01:12:19

@David-TP Thank you for the response.  Surprisingly. I was able to find a sweet spot orientation of the AX73 and its antennas in the house to get a sufficient signal to one location in the shop/garage.  Used a wifi signal strength app to find it.  Put the RE315 there and shazam - works like a champ!  RE315 location analyzer says it's in a good spot and data rates are great.  Now if I can just get the MyQ garage door opener to connect through the RE315 I'll be all set.  But that's another story I'm putting in another post.  Thanks again! 

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 605

Replies: 2