Deco S4 Mesh indoors and adding an EAP device via ethernet/PoE access point?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-03-06 03:54:08
Model: Deco S4  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

I am aware that the Deco Mesh is incompatible with the EAP line of mesh products when it comes to using them as mesh only. However, what if i wanted to use an EAP device only as a wired access point? here is what I want to do and I dont see any issues but wanted to double check.

I have a Deco S4 Mesh in my house running in accesspoint mode. Two of the three satellites are wired via ethernet backhaul to a TL-SG108PE switch (4 ports PoE, 4 regular ports), all connected to a TP Link ER605 router. I want to send wifi coverage to my detached garage. There is already conduit under the driveway for it, so I was gonna run some Cat6 cable out there from the switch in the basement and had some options....

1.) via hardwired ethernet cable, set up my old TP Link Archer C5 router as a wireless access point in the garage. I hve already changed its IP address in preperation for this. this would be the cheapest and easiest method since I already have the hardware, it just requires power which my garage doesnt have yet.

2.) purchase a whole new Deco PoE mesh system, the AX3000 three pack, and install one of them out in the garage via hardwired ethernet cable or buy a 4th one to do this (are they even sold as singles?). This would be costly but revamp my entire network (unnecessarily for my needs) to wifi 6 and wouldnt require power in the garage.

3.) via hardwired ethernet cable, purchase an EAP-225 PoE access point and set it up in the garage with the same network SSID details as my indoor Deco S4. basically doing the same thing as option 1, but just using newer hardware and PoE (which I would prefer). This is the option im leaning towards but just wanted to make sure the EAP device will work fine (just like the Archer C5 in scenario 1). 

so since i know i cant use an EAP accesspoint with my Deco, I can use it so long as its hardwired correct? its not extending my home network, just using it as a PoE access point out in the garage.

Options
6 Reply
Re:Deco S4 Mesh indoors and adding an EAP device via ethernet/PoE access point?
2023-03-06 19:47:08

@dictoresno 

I am curious if you have a conduit between the house and the garage why not just connect another Deco in the garage and use the conduit to connect it via Ethernet to one of the units or the switch that are inside the home?  That way the Deco in the Garage would be on the same network as the other Decos in the home.  You could even consider adding a Deco X50-Outdoor between the Home and the garage if you wanted to transmit via wireless backhaul but that would probably work a lot better than using an EAP and creating a separate network

Additionally, since you have an ER605 you could also consider swapping all the Decos for an EAP setup.  I mention this since the ER605 is also an Omada SDN device so you could use the Omada controller to manage the router and the EAPs in one unified solution.  Plus you wouldn't lose mesh because using he controller you would be able to use AI mesh on the EAPs. 

These would be the two solutions I would consider for your situation. 

Options
2023-03-06 20:57:37

@Carl 

if you read my reply more thoroughly you would've read that scenario 1 and 3 are very similar to you you suggested. 

I will run an Ethernet cable from my switch in the basement no matter what. My only question was should I repurpose my old router as an access point (cheapest option) or could I use an EAP PoE access point. I don't need it to extend any mesh network existing in the house, just to blanket the garage and yard with Wi-Fi. I've never used a EAP device so that's why I'm asking. It can be used as only a one zone access point yes?

Options
2023-03-07 17:25:25

@dictoresno 

I did read your post thoroughly.  I simply explained that you could use the conduit and connect another Deco in the garage so that you could have a seamless WiFi experience.  Using another device as AP, which you can do, would require a separate WiFi network in the garage.  This would mean you would likely have to manually connect to the "other" network each time you are in the garage. 

I also wanted to give you an alternative, the Deco X50-Outdoor, in case you didn't want to go through the hassle of running a cable, even if you have a conduit. 

Lastly, since you mentioned EAPs and ER605 I wanted also to let you know about the option of using Omada SDN to not only manage all SMB products in one location but also that using it allow you to Mesh EAPs into 1 seamless network.   

Options
2023-03-07 17:32:17

@Carl 

I appreciate your reply. I have a mix mash of Omada and non Omada capable devices. After giving it thought, I decided not to go the SDN/Omada controlled route with EAP access points. 

I decided to replace my current Deco S4 set with a new set of three Deco X50 PoE. I will use my new PoE switch to run them and mount them on my walls where my currently terminated cat6 cable jacks are. At a later date I will either add one more to the garage via PoE or just add my old Archer C5 out there as an access point. Probably the cheapest solution. I considered entirely replacing my Deco and going full Omada with three new EAP devices and adding an OC200 controller but I think that's just more complex and expensive for my current needs. I appreciate your replies giving me alternatives. 

Options
2023-03-08 17:55:00

@dictoresno 

I personally use the Deco X50-POE and I love it.  Instead of using the Archer C5 as an AP in the garage, just keep one of the Deco M4s and use it.  While it won't be PoE I assume if you are considering using the Archer C5 that you have power outlets available, so it shouldn't be a problem.  While its not AX compatible, neither is your Archer C5 so again I doubt that would be a concern for you.  The benefit would be that it stays one network throughout your home and garage.  

Omada is definitely more complex and costly as its geared toward business connections,  Deco is probably the most cost effective setup that can be expanded.   

Options
2023-03-08 18:09:22

@Carl I don't have power out in the garage yet I need to run power cables through the power conduit that runs alongside the old telephone line conduit. I'm going to be giving the S4's to relative, but I can always purchase a single Deco when the time comes.  

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 795

Replies: 6

Related Articles