All devices connected to main deco

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-05-04 17:01:21
Model: Deco M9 Plus  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

I "supposedly" have a mesh of 6 Decos, but when I check my network,  I have 30 devices conneted to the MaIN DECO and nothng connected to any of the other devices.

Main Deco is onthe sencond floor and most of my delices are more than 30 ft away from that on the fisrt floor.

This is something wrong, please help!!

Options
6 Reply
Re:All devices connected to main deco
2023-05-04 19:23:43
Having a similar issue where I have one node that does not have any devices attached to it even though there is an xbox and smart tv that are literally 10ft away in the same room, same wall. Question for you, when you log into the Deco app you are seeing all the nodes in the map on the main page correct? If not, then I would assume that your nodes are not connected to the main node.
Options
2023-05-04 19:47:25

@Fizzius YEs, on the Deco App I can see all the nodes and each one of the nodes has a "green  radio signal icon", and if I select each one of them, it says Connected to Main Deco Name and Deco is working well.

I've seen similar posts without any answer from Tp-Link

Options
2023-05-05 01:14:50

@MainDeco 

Hi, I do see there is a similar post and the user here also had Deco M9 Plus.

https://community.tp-link.com/en/home/forum/topic/607728

If your current firmware of Deco M9 plus is also 1.2.10, it is suggested to update the Deco to the latest firmware first:

How to Update the Firmware of Deco (method 3)

Wait for your reply.

Best regards.

Options
2023-05-05 01:21:47

@Fizzius 

Hi, nice to see you. I think your case might be a little bit different. The Mesh roaming needs cooperation on both ends. If the mobile client insists the connected Mesh node is much better than others or does not support fast roaming, it will ignore the Mesh request of Deco. For more details, it is suggested to refer to this link:

Why my clients don't roam/connect to the nearest Deco node?

Thank you very much.

Best regards.

Options
2023-06-16 20:35:19

I've had the same issue forever on my M3 with the base unit and two extra nodes.  I think it worked when I first got it, but it stopped.  TP-Link said they'd fix it ... there have been several updates over the past couple years and it still has this issue.

Now ... after reading their FAQ, I downloaded a WiFi analyzer to my phone and went outside of my house and up the street, then started walking slowly back toward the house.  Eventually my phone saw my network.  All three nodes in fact, which I can only distinguish (in this software) by their mac addresses.  It connected to one as i got pretty close to the house.  Then as I went inside and down the hallway, it connected to the hallway one, and eventually to the main unit which is at the far end of the house in the basement.  In the kitchen the signal strength from all three seems to be about equal.

So it *is* roaming corrrectly and connecting to different nodes in the mesh network.  Hurray.  The actual network is working as advertised.

HOWEVER -- the Deco Software doesn't show me this.  It STILL says everything is connected to the main unit on the main display page.  UNLESS ... I go inspect a single device.  When I go in there for each device, I can see that many are in fact connected to the main unit, and others are connected to "unknown".  The main screen has the other nodes' names right, but when I inspect each device -- if it's not connected to the main one, it says "unknown".

I think if we can somehow fix this "unknown" issue, the main screen telling me how many devices are hooked to which ones would work.

I may try (and I don't know if you can do this but I assume you can) removing the other two devices from the mesh network and then re-add them. 

Options
2023-06-16 21:27:51 - last edited 2023-06-16 21:34:55

@flipster 

Ok, did it.  Same issue.

When I hit the ? next to "unknown" under "connected to", it says:

"Why can't my client recognize the Connected Deco?

Some clients (such as IoT devices connected to a hub) cannot obtain the connected Deco node information.  These clients are collectively listed in the Main Deco's Client list."

So that's got something to do with what's happening.

I have a Pixel 7 Pro, I'm pretty sure it's as up to date as possible.  It's NOT connected to a hub.  And when it's connected to the main unit, it DOES show the main unit's name instead of "unknown".

I wonder if the issue, then, is with the M3W units themselves?  Is there a way to update their firmware?  I just updated the main unit's one before I started all of this experimenting.  That MAY update the M3W's, too ... but I don't know for sure.

Ok, just checked for updates and it shows that the M4R and the M3W's are up to date.

Very frustrating.

Options

Information

Helpful: 2

Views: 1139

Replies: 6

Related Articles