Deco Firmware Updates Adding IoT and Signal Selection for Multiple Models - May 2023

Deco Firmware Updates Adding IoT and Signal Selection for Multiple Models - May 2023

41 Reply
Re:Deco Firmware Updates Adding IoT and Signal Selection for Multiple Models
2023-07-03 14:54:47

@ttheo Question is whether they are both the same version (e.g. one is v1.0 and other is v1.6) as they do not update all hardware versions at the same time.

So been holding off on this on my v1.6 AX3600 setup as it seems like there are plenty of people running into issues where the update is either bricking their entire network or causing other issues. Is there any update on when a patch will be posted for this most recent firmware? Since my gf and I are work from home, can't afford for the network to be down for an extended period of time because the system got bricked.

Options
2023-07-05 10:30:24 - last edited 2023-07-05 10:35:52

@ttheo Hi, You could manually update the firmware via web UI:

How to Update the Firmware of Deco (method 2, not 3)

@ADGPR Hi, there is a plan to release similar firmware for Deco X20 V1.2. But It might still not help with your current question since the expected release date is not clear. The firmware is usually uploaded every Friday and you could check regularly on the Deco APP and the official website.

Best regards.

@Fizzius  V1.6/ V1.8 shared the same firmware as V1. 

(Normally Vx.0=Vx.6/Vx.8 (eg:V1.0=V1.6/V1.8);   Vx.x0=Vx.x6/Vx.x8 (eg:V1.20=V1.26/V1.28)

And if you are worried about the latest firmware, you could start updating one of the satellite Deco, then switch it to the main. If everything went on well, you could continue updating the rest. While if something happened, you could switch the original unit back to the main Deco.

How to Set up the Satellite Deco or a new Deco to be the Main Deco

Thank you very much.

Best regards.

Options
2023-07-07 06:13:49 - last edited 2023-07-07 06:14:14

@Riley_S 

Do you have any ETA for other model ?

I have an issue that using multiple model with M5 as main (M4 / E4) and when use IoT network, all device connect to M5 only not other node

I think this IoT network should be available on all model since it is just add additional main network to system, I can see UI show IoT network even other model that not support it connect to the network

Options
2023-07-10 18:17:49

@chinkung,

I most recently posted a batch of firmware announcements last Friday:

https://community.tp-link.com/us/home/forum/topic/614388

We don't really have any insights into what models will receive the updates and when, so your best bet is simply to keep an eye out for any updates or to watch your firmware download page for the most recent version.

The goal has always been to bring the firmware and features to as many models as possible, however, some features may get left behind due to hardware limitations. For the IoT feature, without the firmware being applied to the other non-m5 nodes that do not support the IoT network will have no idea how to communicate traffic to the main router, and they will not have the configuration options needed to broadcast an additional SSID.

Splash into a Smarter Summer - Summer Event and Community Giveaway

Automate and Learn More About Tapo Sub-GHz Sensors, Matter, Apple Home, and Local Smart Actions!

20% Select Sub-G Hubs Available to All Participants! | Get Started Here!
Options
Re:Deco Firmware Updates Adding IoT and Signal Selection for Multiple Models - May 2023
2023-08-14 17:42:38

@Riley_S  This feature 100% does not work on my XE75 Pro setup.  Options are all there, but using/setting them does nothing!  Devices still connect to whatever they want to and that is usally to the weakest possible signal source.  Switched to XE75 Pro's from Ubiquity and am regretting it.

Options
Re:Deco Firmware Updates Adding IoT and Signal Selection for Multiple Models - May 2023
2023-08-14 18:13:51

@Wazawai,

There are a few different options that are similar, so make sure that you are changing the connection settings for the device itself and not a specific satellite node's backhaul source.

It is also recommended that you forget the network on your device and reconnect, as you may still be communicating with old credentials and this will force the device to receive new settings. If you are changing the signal source for a satellite, you will need to at the very least reboot the node on which the setting was changed.

Lastly, what type of device are you trying to assign?

If you are assigning a mobile phone, tablet, or computer - please make sure that you have any settings related to Private Addressing or "Randomized MAC Address" disabled for the network. The toggle can be found in your device settings while connected to the network. If this setting is ENABLED, then the Deco cannot keep track of your device and your device will appear as a new device each time it connects, causing the signal source preference to not take effect.

Automate and Learn More About Tapo Sub-GHz Sensors, Matter, Apple Home, and Local Smart Actions!

Options
2023-08-14 18:31:24

@Riley_S 

I'm changing the specific setting for a device, not a node's backhaul source.

"It is also recommended that you forget the network on your device and reconnect, as you may still be communicating with old credentials and this will force the device to receive new settings.":

This doesn't make sense to me.  The credentials are the credentials, they either work or they do not. Do not understand how a device could even access the network with "old" credentials. I have tried rebooting the devices as well as the various deco satellites. I've spent hours troubleshooting the problem and trying every possible combination of settings, reboot order, etc.

The settings work with literally nothing on my network; computer, tablet, phone, camera, light bulb, ring doorbell, echo device, etc. (nothing at all).

It is as if I change the settings in the app, but they never get applied.

Options
2023-08-14 18:53:54 - last edited 2023-08-14 18:54:30

@Riley_S 

The left side of the image is what I see when go into the settings for a device, note what is selected versus what the app says.

The right side of the image is what I see when I select an option before saving it (it says what it should say).

As previously stated, it is as if the app is not saving the settings despite the settings being selected.

Options
2023-08-14 19:02:15 - last edited 2023-08-14 19:02:23

@Wazawai,

Thanks for the added info, i will take a look around and see if there are any similar behaviors reported with fixes.

Is your entire network made up of XE75 Pros? If you have a deco node that doesn't support the feature, the setting should be unavailable.

Also, regarding the connection with old settings:

The feature works essentially by allowing a select node to give the credentials needed to connect to the network. When assigning a signal preference, it is very possible that the last set of credentials were received from one of the other nodes and has not yet expired. Both sets of credentials are valid and will allow a device to connect to the network, so it is important to force the settings to refresh by reconnecting the device to receive the latest information from the router.

Options
2023-08-14 21:49:19

@Riley_S 

Three XE75 Pros is what makes up the wireless network, nothing else.

Options