Not What I Think of as a Mesh?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-06-19 15:09:38 - last edited 2023-06-21 12:54:58
Model: Deco X55  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.2.5 Build 20230511 Re. 67294

I recently purchased a Deco X55 3-pack and it does not appear to support what I think of as a mesh topology. 

We live on an old farmstead with three building (the main house, a stone summer kitchen and a small office) roughly in a row about each about 20 ft apart. I expected the mesh units to automatically connect to their nearest (strongest signal) neighbor and relay traffic. However, it seems that each "remote" Deco unit must connect the main unit (via WiFi or using Ethernet back haul). Is this correct?

Based on our usage and the building construction, it works out best to place the 300/100 Mbps G modem that provides our internet service in the office which is the west-most building. I'm having problems getting enough signal to the Deco in the house which is the east-most building. The summer kitchen is between the house and the office and I expected to use it as a relay point but can't seem to configure the system that way.

I've tried using AV1300 power line Ethernet but only get about 10 Mbps between the office and house using it. Even with the weak signal, the WiFi connection between the house and office Deco units is better, at about 50 Mbps (using 2.4 GHz I assume).

Any suggestions of how I might best configure my setup to get better speed to the house?

Note - My hardware version is US/1.6 which was not a choice in the message menu.

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Not What I Think of as a Mesh?-Solution
2023-06-20 03:15:50 - last edited 2023-06-21 12:54:58

@CSTritt 

Hi, welcome to the community.

Deco X55 V1-1.2.5 allows manually selecting which Deco to connect and you could refer to this link to re-select the signal source of the east-most building Deco:

How to select a preferred signal source on the Deco App

Best regards.

Recommended Solution
Options
2 Reply
Re:Not What I Think of as a Mesh?-Solution
2023-06-20 03:15:50 - last edited 2023-06-21 12:54:58

@CSTritt 

Hi, welcome to the community.

Deco X55 V1-1.2.5 allows manually selecting which Deco to connect and you could refer to this link to re-select the signal source of the east-most building Deco:

How to select a preferred signal source on the Deco App

Best regards.

Recommended Solution
Options
Re:Not What I Think of as a Mesh?
2023-06-21 13:03:43

@David-TP 

Thanks for the information. It turns out that I found the setting you describe last night just before seeing your message.

Using the Net Analyzer app on my Android phone, I determined that in the house, the signal from the main Deco in our office building is stronger than the one from the Deco in our summer kitchen (which is physically closer to the house). so the Deco system was doing exactly what it should have done. The summer kitchen has thick stone walls that must be attenuating the signal more than I expected.

The house to office (main) Deco connection signal is shown as only Fair in the Deco app, but I have a stable connection and sufficient bandwidth, so I'm happy.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 309

Replies: 2

Related Articles