Headache with deco M5 v3.2, but fine with v2

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-08-01 22:50:26
Model: Deco M5  
Hardware Version: V3
Firmware Version: 1.7.1

I bought a 3-pack Deco M5 back in 2019, and they've been running great with no problems at all. I tried upgrading to Deco X60 a couple of years ago but had real headaches (physical symptoms), so I stayed with the M5, which has been headache-free for me and my wife.

Now I've moved to a new townhouse with three floors, and I thought to add more M5's to cover the additional areas. So, I bought another 3-pack Deco M5 on Amazon but started experiencing headaches the moment I started them up. This is similar to what I experienced with Deco X60.

I noticed these new ones are different. The ones I got back in 2019 are V2, and the new ones are V3.2. So I guess the new M5 v3.2 has a stronger signal similar to the X60, which gives me a headache when they start blasting WiFi signals.

This issue isn't just theoretical - it's real and is affecting my ability to concentrate. I work from home, so I can't have this headache going on. I'm thinking of ditching the M5 v3.2 and considering a 3-pack Deco M4, as it's supposed to be "weaker" in terms of signal strength.

But on the M4 Support page, it lists four different hardware versions: V1-V4, and I'm sure if I buy them now, I will get the new V4. Are the M4 v4 similar in signal strength to the M5 v3.2? At this moment, I don't know what to do. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Options
2 Reply
Re:Headache with deco M5 v3.2, but fine with v2
2023-08-02 03:09:25

@SaVance 

Hi, Welcome to the community.

I think you could stay with Deco M5 and test with its ECO mode for a little while to see whether it helped:

ECO Mode on Deco

Best regards.

Options
Re:Headache with deco M5 v3.2, but fine with v2
2023-08-02 03:38:42 - last edited 2023-08-02 03:39:39

Hi David, Thanks for your suggestion! Didn't realize ECO mode can potentially help with this.

I read the page and it says with ECO mode on it will slightly reduce network speed - does it mean it will have less range (more dead spots) as well?

The most important thing for me is to reduce the WiFi signal strength. Can you confirm for me the ECO mode does reduce the signal strength, and not just the processing power of the on board CPU (slows the CPU down)?

I just packed the M5 for return a while ago. But if it indeed can reduce the signal strength I will open the package back up and give it a try!

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 262

Replies: 2

Related Articles