Dynamic Device Association with Multiple Users No Radius (External User Management)

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Dynamic Device Association with Multiple Users No Radius (External User Management)

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-08-03 17:03:30 - last edited 2023-08-03 17:05:44

I currently use the Orbi Netgear product and I wish someone would come up with a way that would do dynamic device association. As a parent, I want to be in control of what my kids can do on the internet without the burden of having to nit pick through what device each child chooses to use on a given day.

Here is an idea:

1. Allow for the configuration of multiple users and differing passwords between each user.

2. The user logs in with their password in the same fashion you would an SSID.

3. Depending on the last person whom logged in with their personal password, that device is associated to that user.

4. Do this without using a seperate external instance of a user management system.

Ideally, there would be no ask for a user name, just the unique password to auth to a singular SSID. The target would be all devices that support password based auth...(every device). Using other auth systems makes client management a headache. 

Currently, I use multiple SSIDs to seperate my kids from the parents, guests, and IOT. I can schedule the SSIDs to turn on and off but it takes all of the wireless offline in order to do it. I also don't have finite control per child. I think an idea like this is a happy medium where controls can be based on per user and therefore device restrictions. This also allows a different person to grab that device and login without worrying about the reassignment of devices to a different user.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 159

Replies: 0

Related Articles