Deco x20 mesh is not playing well with M2 MacBook Pro

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-08-22 16:46:09
Model: Deco  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.5.0 build 20210303 rel 33690

I just got a new M2 MacBook Pro.  It's the first wifi 6 device I've had on my network.  It has major wifi connection stability issues.  It varies from dropping me from Google Meets periodically to being unable to access the Internet at all.  My mesh looks like:

• Fiber modem + router
    • Deco x20 #1 [ethernet]
      • Deco x20 #2 [wifi]
  • Switch
    • Deco x20 #1 [ethernet]
    • Deco x20 #3 [ethernet]
      • M2 MacBook Pro [wifi]

In other words, I have the main Deco wired to the router, one remote Deco on wifi, and one remote Deco using the ethernet backhaul.

The behavior I see is that when I'm experiencing connectivity issues, it's because the MacBook has switched from the local Deco (#3) to the next closest Deco (#2), which isn't close enough to give reasonable bandwidth.  I've even seen it then switch to the furthest Deco (#1) and report that it has no Internet access.

I have solved the problem by running an ethernet cable from the MacBook to Deco #3 and disabling wifi on the MacBook.  That gives me a stable connection, but it means I have a cable draped across the room.  It's also silly, because I bought this mesh specifically to support wifi 6.

I would love some help figuring out how to get the MacBook stable on wifi 6 with the Deco mesh.

Options
4 Reply
Re:Deco x20 mesh is not playing well with M2 MacBook Pro
2023-08-22 19:58:47
Addendum: I added a 2.4GHz network, and the MacBook is able to maintain a stable connection to that network.
Options
2023-08-23 06:56:48

@templedf 

Hi, There are some suggestions for your reference:

1. Disable "Mesh Technology" on the Deco APP for M2 MacBook Pro.

2. Turn off "beamforming" under Deco APP>More>Advanced.

3. Turn off "Private Address" under Settings of the M2 MacBook Pro.

Wait for your reply and best regards.

Options
2023-08-28 14:03:45

@David-TP I turned off mesh and beam shaping, and it didn't make anything better.  In fact, with beam shaping off, the MBP also struggled with the 2.4GHz network.  I could not find a setting to turn off private address for the MBP.

While testing, I gathered a little more concrete data.  The MBP connects to the closest node at 1.2 Gbps.  It then swaps to the next closest node and connects at 229 Mbps.  It then swaps to the furthest node and connects at 0 bps.  It then loses the connection completely.  When it rediscovers the network, it starts over with the closest node.  Rinse, repeat, ad nauseum.

Options
2023-08-28 14:07:09
Here's a crazy thought. I stand right between the closest node and the MBP. Could it be that the wifi 6 signal is sensitive enough that me standing here is disrupting it?
Options