Static IP fails to connect, Deco in Access Mode

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-08-22 17:47:23
Model: Deco M5  
Hardware Version: V3
Firmware Version: 1.7.1 Build 20230608 Rel. 74023

My main Deco is connected (hardwired) in Access Mode to a router (operating in bridge mode and is there only to provide VPN), with three other Decos connected wirelessly to the main Deco.  Smart DHCP is specified in the Deco Advanced parameters.

I have a Windows 10 system connected to the Deco wifi network.  The W10 wifi adapter is configured with a Static IP.  When my network is rebooted (ISP's cable modem) the Windows 10 wifi connection is lost.  Running Windows network troubleshooter has to turn on DHCP to get the connection reestablished.  I have tried skipping the DHCP "fix" to no avail.

How can I configure the W10 wifi with a static address and have it preserved?

Options
2 Reply
Re:Static IP fails to connect, Deco in Access Mode
2023-08-23 09:56:21

@gbguy 

Hi, Welcome to the community.

I see you mentioned the ISP cable modem router is in bridge mode and only provides a VPN connection. Is the ISP router still the DHCP server in the LAN network?

" Smart DHCP is specified in the Deco Advanced parameters", do you mean the Smart DHCP is enabled on the Deco APP?

Can I have a screenshot of the smart DHCP settings on Deco M5?

Personally, I think if Smart DHCP is enabled on M5. When the ISP cable modem is rebooted, during this time, there is no other DHCP server available and Deco starts acting as the DHCP server for mobile clients. Since the static IP address on the computer is still from the ISP router, it might cause disconnection.

Have you tried to reserve the IP address for the Windows PC on the ISP router, instead of a static IP configuration?

Thank you very much.

Wait for your reply and best regards.

Options
Re:Static IP fails to connect, Deco in Access Mode
2023-08-23 14:39:29

@David-TP 

Thanks for the response.  There was some confusion in the description of my system.  There is no ISP cable modem router.  Here is the configuration:

ISP cable feed -> Cable Modem -> ASUS Router (bridge mode, no wifi radio enabled, just provides VPN) -> Main Deco M5 (Access Mode, Smart DHCP enabled)

Cable Modem, ASUS Router, Main Deco all connected with ethernet cable.  There are three other M5s, connected wirelessly, to the main M5.  The Decos provide the only wifi.

My Windows 10 computer connects to the wifi provided by the Decos and has a static IP address.

As far as I can tell, I cannot assign/reserve a static IP address for the computer via a Deco setting.

(In case you were wondering, the ASUS Router provides OpenVPN for when I am away from home and need secure access to the Internet)

Options