Powerline backhaul problem p9 vs px50

2023-08-29 08:29:20
Model: Deco P9   Deco PX50  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Hi,

I've been using a 3-pack Deco P9 system in our stone house for about two years.  Recently one of the P9s developed a high-pitched noise which I read online was the result of a failing capacitor or choke coil inside.  Not feeling like fixing it, I instead bought a 3-pack of the new PX50, hoping to combine the two, the two good old P9s with a new PX50.  But upon installing them, I learned that the PLC backhaul systems were different (P9 uses HomePlug AV, while PX50 uses G.hn) and not compatible with each other. So I had to remove the old P9s and install the PX50s in each of my three rooms.

The problem is that the PX50 PLC backhaul is very unstable and often doesn't connect at all, while the P9 PLC was and is very stable and consistent.  I have ideal test conditions because I have units plugged into the exact same electrical outlets in the same rooms - the P9s are solidly locked into a constant PLC connection, while the PX50s rarely if ever connect over PLC, and when they don't connect, the Wifi backhaul is not strong enough to maintain the connection and the network falls apart.  As I mentioned, we live in a stone house, so the PLC backhaul is a critical component to the system.  I view all of these status updates via the Deco phone app.

So my questions are:

1) Any idea why the P9 PLC would be so stable, while the PX50 PLC would be so unstable, given that they are in exactly the same settings (physical locations and identical electrical outlets)? Is the new G.hn standard more delicate or fussy?

2) Is there any way to fix the PX50 PLC so that it works better (i.e. at least as well as the P9s)?

Options
3 Reply
Re:Powerline backhaul problem p9 vs px50
2023-08-30 09:34:08

@Bvz 

Hi, welcome to the community.

Based on the working mechanism of G.hn, it is supposed to be more stable and faster than HomePlug AV. Since there are barely any settings we could modify on the Deco about powerline Backhaul, I would like to follow up on your case by email to see whether the engineers had any other troubleshooting methods.

By the way, have you ever tried to do a factory reset on Deco PX50 once before, then set it up again from scratches?

Thank you very much and best regards.

Options
2023-08-30 12:48:48

@David-TP thanks for the reply.  I received your email and will try your suggestions and respond to you there.

Options
2023-12-20 22:16:27

@Bvz 

I'm upgrading from P9 to the PX 50s for the exact same whining reason. Did your issue ever get worked out? I'm disappointed that the PX50s are not backwards compatible. Do they still work on a wifi backhaul?

I may have to return the PX50 without opening the box

Thank you.

Options