Deco P7: WLAN problems after upgrading to firmware 1.4.10

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-11-04 18:56:14 - last edited 2023-11-07 18:17:46
Tags: #Firmware Update #Firmware Downgrade
Model: Deco P7  
Hardware Version: V7
Firmware Version: 1.4.0 Build 20230911 Rel. 39844

Hello support and community

After the surprising firmware upgrade to version 1.4.0 Build 20230911 Rel. 39844 I have the problem that my Google Chromecast HD and my TP-Link Nano Router WR802N which I operate in client mode for my printer (WLAN to LAN) can no longer establish a connection to the Deco P7. 

If I connect the Chromecast to a hotspot on my smartphone, it works.

I would like to be able to use my network again as before the firmware update and would like a solution for this. 

At this point, I wonder why we as users are not informed in detail about the changes in an upgrade. An upgrade should not make things worse. 

I find the time I have invested so far very frustrating. 

Thanks in advance

Options
3 Reply
Re:Deco P7: WLAN problems after upgrading to firmware 1.4.10
2023-11-05 13:36:19 - last edited 2023-11-07 18:16:10

I have now set my 3 Deco, which still has the firmware version 1.4.9 Build 20200918 Rel. 74680, as the main Deco and removed the one with the corrupted firmware update from the network. The devices mentioned above also no longer work with the old firmware version.

I can reproduce that the problem arose after the update to version 1.4.10 and that it works properly via other WLANs but no longer via the Decos.

I would like to know the exact changelog details please. With the following superficial information it is not possible to understand what has been changed. 

"Bug fixes and new features:
1.Fixed the bug that parental control doesn't take effect.
2.Supported HomeCare Malicious Content whitelist function.
3.Fixed some other bugs."

What does "Fixed some other bugs" mean? 

I have a TP-Link Archer MR600 as my router. Don't get me wrong, I'm a fan of keeping my systems up to date, but not under these circumstances. 

After the update, I had to completely delete the previously working WLAN on all tablets and reconnect them in order to bring them back into the WLAN. A factory reset of the Chromecast and the Nano router did not help. The Chromecast now thinks the Wi-Fi password is wrong, it is 100% correct. We can no longer print either. 

Thank you for this.

Options
2023-11-09 02:39:45

@citadel 

Hi, Thank you very much for your time and patience.

I noticed you mentioned that you have the 3rd Deco with the old 1.4.9 firmware set as the main Deco, the Chromcast HD and 802N nano router didn't work either so I think the firmware upgrade would not be the issue. And 1.4.10 could be downgraded back to 1.4.9 directly via web UI if needed.(https://www.tp-link.com/en/support/faq/1599/)

Would there be any error message when Chromcast HD failed to connect Deco S7?

Here are some suggestions for your reference:

1. leave the main Deco S7 only and temporarily power off the other two Deco S7s.

2. turn off "fast roaming" and "beamforming" on the Deco APP>More>Advanced.

3. Please also check whether there are any special characters in the Wi-Fi password. Or please try to enable the guest network for 2.4GHz only with just numbers as password to see whether Chromcast HD could connect to the Guest Wi-Fi.

PS: It is also suggested to connect TL-WR802N to the guest Wi-Fi in client mode.

Wait for your reply and best regards.

Options
2023-11-13 10:51:37 - last edited 2023-11-13 10:55:21

@David-TP 

Hello and thank you for your feedback.

Admittedly I understand your statement that it has nothing to do with your product that it no longer works with the old firmware.

The clear counterargument is that it started exactly on the day I changed to the latest firmware. Coincidence? No, I don't think so, because with a hotspot or an access point from another provider, everything works with the same setup.

Nevertheless, I followed your suggestions. All Decos are now on the old firmware. I have tried it with easy and complex WLAN passwords, also set up a completely new WLAN. Also with fast roaming and beamformng enabled and disabled. I have also tried a WLAN with only 2.4 GHz and only 5 Ghz, without success.

WLAN Guest makes no sense for us, as we a) Access a NAS in the LAN with the Chromecast b) Scan to folder with the printer and neither is possible via the WLAN Guest.

One point for me is that the Nano Router in client mode can only do WiFi 4 it 2.4 GHz. So again, what has really been changed in your new firmware update? I lack transparency here. The Chromecast that runs on both frequency bands in WiFi 5 speaks against this. The Chromecast only says "No connection" possible.

I do not believe in coincidences in this case. Firmware update installed, problem there, on several devices. No changes have been made to the Main router either. 

Thanks for your help and further suggestions.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 355

Replies: 3

Tags

Firmware Update
Firmware Downgrade
Related Articles