Pros and Cons of Using Archer AX55 or Deco Mesh AX55

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-11-09 22:48:08

I'm looking to replace my aging TP-LINK routers with new units. I currently have CenturyLink Fiber into an ONT box, which is connected to a CenturyLink WiFi Router. I have ethernet cables running to most rooms in the house (1929 vintage, 3 floors, plaster walls). I have 2 routers configured as AP units - one on each floor). My initial thought was to replace each of the AP and CL routers with the new Archer AX55 units (3) - also configured the same, 1 router and 2 AP units. The AP units are configured with the same SSIDs to allow roaming in the house. However, I like the idea of replacing the traditional units with a mesh system, thus looking at the Deco AX55 units with similar throughput. It seems that mesh systems provide better roaming. Another possibility is mixing the two - use the Archer AX55 as the router (with Mesh enabled) and the Deco AX55 in AP mode to provide full house coverage. With the ethernet cables, I can have each unit connected for the back-haul. Ignoring price differences, am I better off using the Archer units or the Deco units or a mix? Is the range of an Archer AX55 better than the Deco AX55? Are there features that I lose or gain with each system? Thanks for any suggestions.

Options
2 Reply
Re:Pros and Cons of Using Archer AX55 or Deco Mesh AX55
2023-11-10 07:10:35

@thebiker 

Hi, welcome to the community.

It is not recommended to mix Archer AX55 with Deco X55 since they could not create a Mesh network together. Their wireless network even under the same SSID would still be seperate wireless networks. So you could consider whether 3*Archer AX55 or 3*Deco X55.

I see there is a beta firmware for Archer AX55 that supports Ethernet Backhaul over EasyMesh.

Public Beta for Archer AX55 V1 Supports EasyMesh Ethernet Backhaul, DoH&DoT, ECO Mode and More

For Deco X55, It doesn't support setup or management via web interface. Almost all the configurations are complemented via Deco APP. The installation and configuration over Deco APP is user-friendly and easy to operate.---Get to know Deco APP 3.0

Ethernet Backhaul on Deco is plug and play-General questions about Ethernet Backhaul feature on Deco

The software features on Deco X55 and Archer AX55 are quite similar to each other. If some advanced features are essential, please feel free to tell and I could check whether they have any difference.

Thank you very much and best regards.

Options
Re:Pros and Cons of Using Archer AX55 or Deco Mesh AX55
2023-11-14 21:22:48

@thebiker Thansks for your quick reply. I was not aware of the diffenent implementaions of a mesh system. I kind of figured (hoped) that all mesh systems, especially from one vendor, were all compatible. But I see that is not the case. I will have to review some more if I want to use the Archer systems in router/AP mode or go with the Deco mesh system. I don't have too many needs that might only be provided in the Archer series setup. I do have a few additional questions.

* Given that the Deco system only use thee Deco app for setup and configuration, does the Deco app "require" the internet to complete various setup and configuration operations. Or does it just need access to the local network with the Deco mesh units? I know in the Archer units, web-based access is done with just local network access.

* I currently use DHCP Reservations to manually associate subnet addresses with specific devices, like my NAS device. Is that possible with the Deco system?

* In the write up for the Deco AX55, it says that it supports connection to over 150 devices. Normally, I would expect to be able to support up to 250+ devices on a subnet (192.168.0.*0). While 150 devices may be plenty, I wondering what part of the subnet addressing is being reservsed for the mesh itself.

* Looking at the range (or coverage) of one unit when comparing the Archer AX55 and Deco AX55. Which is better? I would guess that one Archer unit would have slightly better coverage than one Deco AX55. In the new setup, the location of each unit (Archer or Deco) would be the same (due to the location of ethernet jack). While, I believe the Deco units will provide adequate coverage, I won't truly know until it is setup. I get the sense that the Archer units would do better that the Deco units.

* Other advance features that I might use include Setting devices for QoS and port forwarding. Are these available in the Deco App?

Thanks for your help again.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 3066

Replies: 2

Related Articles