3 Node BE85 System - Large File Downloads fail with SSL errors
3 Node BE85 System - Large File Downloads fail with SSL errors
2023-11-12 23:50:16
Model: Deco BE85  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: 1.0.13 Build 20230927 Rel. 38826

My Configuration:

• 3 Node setup
  • All nodes 2.5Gbps ethernet backhauled on a dedicated VLAN for my wireless network, untagged. Using first 2.5GB port (the one second from the top)
  • Operation Mode: Access Point (I've already got a rather advanced home network setup with pfSense / do not need router functionality)
  • All nodes with static DHCP mappings so they get the same IP, xx.xx.40.16 (Main), xx.xx.40.17 (Leaf1), xx.xx.40.18 (Leaf2)
  • No firewalls between VLANs
  • Wi-Fi Network (both 2.4Ghz and 6Ghz) with the same name. MLO disabled (no Wi-Fi 7 devices yet)
  • Dedicated Backhaul disabled (using ethernet), Fast Roaming Disabled (this was the default when setting up), Beamforming enabled, Guest disabled, nothing else changed from factory settings.
  • Note that I had to update the firmware individually on each device through the web interface; app was not offering up latest version.
  • Devices factory reset several times (before and after firmware update)

Wireless devices connect fine, however large downloads fail on my iOS devices with SSL errors. First noticed when attempting to download rather large OS updates (MacOS, iOS).

I can easily reproduce the issue, simply use wget with macos terminal to download a large file and the errors start occurring. All of the errors look like this:

2023-11-12 17:23:03 (23.0 MB/s) - Read error at byte 12497976264/12907471400 (error:0A000119:SSL routines::decryption failed or bad record mac). Retrying.

Note that I was able to download the file with no errors with a single node setup, the second I added the two other nodes this started happening. I'm not sure if there is a connection here as I only tried it once with a single node setup, but thought it was worth mentioning.

Guessing similar errors from my web browsers when attempting to download, though they're not as verbose; they simply say download failed due to network error.

I'm also not alone, same issue reported on reddit here: https://www.reddit.com/r/TpLink/comments/12uip0c/be95_quick_review/ (apparently happening with the BE95 as well).

I've hooked my old Eero Pro 6 network back up and no issues / unable to reproduce the issue.

I download a lot of large files on a regular basis, and need to be able to reliably receive OS updates on my devices. I'm hoping this is a known issue being worked on. If there are any workarounds, please let me know. I'd be happy to try beta firmware as well if there is a fix for this.

Thanks,

Nick

Options
9 Reply
Re:3 Node BE85 System - Large File Downloads fail with SSL errors
2023-11-13 02:20:37

@crawfordna 

Hi, welcome to the community.

It is suggested to try  the beta firmware here to see whether it helped:

https://community.tp-link.com/en/home/forum/topic/629446

Wait for your reply and best regards.

Options
2023-11-13 15:31:17

@David-TP Thank you, this solved my issue.

I'm hoping this is GA (very) soon...

The idea that people using this system may not be able to receive OS and security updates for their devices is not a good look for TP-Link and the Deco brand.

Thanks again,

Nick

Options
2023-11-15 07:51:26

@crawfordna 

Hi, Thanks for the update. I completely agree that using a beta fix for such an expensive product is not a wise decision.

There will be an official firmware and once the firmware is ready, I will update the community as soon as possible.

Thank you again and best regards.

Options
2023-11-30 03:32:09 - last edited 2023-11-30 03:32:36

@David-TP any news on when the official update fixing this issue will be released?

Apple will be releasing iOS/iPadOS 17.2 and many other updates on or before December 15, and Google has a major Android update and a big Windows update from Microsoft also coming out about the same time too, so that kinda sets a deadline for releasing the firmware update. 

Options
2023-12-01 07:09:57 - last edited 2023-12-04 02:43:37

Hi,  @Richardj186 

Thank you very much for the notification.

The latest firmware 1.0.14, which is in the releasing process and I think it could start being detected in the next few days on the Deco APP, has fixed this issue.

It has added a "Wireless Forward" on/off switch on the web management page which is disabled by default. We could enable "Wireless Forward"and it will fix the issue reported here.

Wish you a good day and best regards.

Options
2023-12-01 12:34:18

@David-TP thank you!  Will look for the update!  

Options
2023-12-01 20:38:59

@David-TP the update is now on the BE85 update download page. Thank you!

Options
2023-12-07 04:06:11

@David-TP what is Wireless Forward and is it recommended to enable it and leave it enabled?

Options
2024-01-30 08:19:04

It is now January, nearly February. I am currently experiencing this issue on our Deco M5 system which is all up to date. I seem to be unable to download software updates for our devices. Has the fix been applied to m5 software yet?

Options