Fan noise with transceiver on SFP+ port

2023-11-15 14:35:58
Model: Deco BE85  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.0.13

Hi, I'm wondering if this is acknowledged issue, but with this model, when transceiver is put in SFP port, the fan goes all the time on (I think) max settings, because I can hear it faintly from 50 meters and loudly from 30. By far the noisiest electronics I have. You don't even have to connect fiber to it, the fan stays on as long as transceiver is there. To me it makes no sense, because unit is silent with using copper on upper port, but fiber is producing way lower heat than copper, and nobody puts copper transceivers on combo ports. I have 2 units, one connected with fiber and one with copper (both 10G) on upper port, the second one is warmer, yet is silent, while fiber one blasts the room with noise. For example, copper ends at 10G (some cables will advertise more, but good luck finding switch/network card with copper above 10G) because it's power hungry and heat producing, but fiber goes 100G and beyond with just passive cooling like Mellanox 100G NIC's . I even tried to move that unit outside, fan still goes the same, so it's not even relevant to temperature, firmware just sets it to max all the time with SFP, which is totally unneded. Please set fan behaviour like upper port, or better yet, allow us to do fan control in Deco app. Right now, I'm thinking about returning or just doing a teardown and cutting power to fan. Please set my mind on ease with at least acknowledging the issue and a promise for firmware update. :) Thanks

Options
24 Reply
Re:Fan noise with transceiver on SFP+ port
2023-11-16 10:04:36 - last edited 2023-11-16 10:06:03

@Renive 

Hi, Thank you very much for your feedback.

Wi-Fi 7 is the latest WiFi Technology with the most advanced chipset solution. The performance is unparalleled and its power consumption will produce more heat accordingly. Compared with the satellite Deco, the main Deco will handle more network traffic and will also generate more heat. There is an additional fan for the SFP module. In order to make sure the main Deco is working under a proper temperature, its cooling fans will be more active than the satellites' to dissipate excess heatI think the noise you noticed is not just due to the SFP+ port. Furthermore, the engineers have done tests the first time we received similar feedback. The venting noise is not as easily noticeable as described, but quite subtle and within a reasonable level.

So we would appreciate it if you could record some video clips and send them to support.forum@tp-link.com (please add forum ID 641586) the engineers would love to have a further check.

Thanks again for your understanding and best regards.

Options
2023-11-16 10:55:11
Hi, I'll email the clip, but I'll also post it here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U62cZqljAls . It's best to be heard on phones/headphones, my computer speakers mute it a lot when I play it. I'm standing from far away, and I can easily hear it, when I zoom in, microphone boosts sensitivity and on the max zoom you can hear it very loudly, and that's still from a lot of distance. I don't have main deco - all of my decos are just in AP mode, so they're not processing much, they just pass the data from wifi client devices through fiber to router in basement. The SFP port is cool to the touch, fiber is not generating a lot of heat. I respectfully disagree about needing the fan in this situation, the fan noise is not even connected to the temperature, it doesn't matter if the unit is even connected to the internet through fiber, I can put Deco on the cold outside with only power on (and no wireless backhaul) and it will still do the same noise just because there's transceiver in SFP port. There's just no excuse for this behaviour (10G upper ethernet port - no fan issues, warm port vs 10G SFP+ port, cool port and lots of noise). This is a good product, but please don't let it be ruined by this issue.
Options
2023-11-22 13:00:51

@Renive 

Coming back with way better movie describing the behaviour https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yFYOO9UAxpQ  . I've increased the volume a bit to highlight the difference. With ethernet, the unit is silent, but as soon as fiber transceiver (which run cooler than ethernet) is plugged in, you can hear insane noise, which goes away few seconds after putting it out (at the end of the clip). There is no reason to do that, the transceiver wasn't even used, only plugged in. Please fix this behaviour.

Options
2023-11-23 08:38:13

@Renive 

Hi, Thank you very much and the video has been forwarded to the engineers.

The noise is indeed usual and the engineers suspected something might be choking the fan.

Have you ever tried to plug the SFP receiver into the satellite Deco BE85 to see whether the noise continued?

By the way, could you please help me send a copy of the system log from the web UI?

Deco web interface login

Wait for your reply and best regards.

Options
2023-11-23 09:28:22

@David-TP 

There is no such thing as satellite Deco for me, both my Deco's are running in AP mode. I have a router and a switch in the basement, and the Deco's are connected to that switch through fiber. Same behaviour for both units.

Options
2023-11-28 08:49:41

@Renive 

Hi, logs confirm gear 1 on the fan (can't attach them here but I've them in the email converstion with TP Link support - file fails to upload, and links to external services like pastebin are prohibited). I've also plugged out the SFP at the end of the log, and you can see in logs it kicks back to zero, even with temperatures like 68C. Why then fan kicks in on SFP at all? There's no logic in it based on temperature it seems, it's just always. And as I provided on the video, you don't even have to use it, just plugging it in triggers the fan, and RJ45 which runs hotter does not. I just do not understand this behaviour - I've taken an SFP+ transceiver from my QSW IM 1200 8C switch, and they were a lot cooler there than in the Deco. Are you supplying too much power to SFP transceiver? I really want to know if engineers are keen to fix it (just don't run the fan until you need it - I assume on using RJ45 it goes on some time (people reported this behaviour, but my house is a bit cold and maybe after firmware upgrades it just doesnt do that anymore, but running it all the time with SFP is totally unnecessary).

Options
2023-12-21 06:18:48

@Renive 

I do have the same issue, the FAN is so noisy I can hear it in the whole apartment. The fiber Link is not yet active, the module as well is not hot when i touch it.

Until the the link gets activated iI use the second router with internet with a copper cable, there is no noise at all.

I have the Deco BE85, there is no customization option or any workaround?

Options
2023-12-21 08:43:42

@Oerli 

I got the beta firmware which fixes this issue. I've been testing it and gave a customer support a green light to include this in next official firmware as a option to toggle in web ui of each deco. :)

Options
2023-12-22 20:39:06
Cool from tp link to acknowledge the issue and working on a fix for it. I'm excited for the update. And thanks for the info :)
Options
2023-12-28 18:27:27

@Renive Hi, is it 1.0.14 firmware that fixed the issue? I got this one but the fan is so loud as soon as I plug in spf+ cable.

Options

Information

Helpful: 3

Views: 1175

Replies: 24

Related Articles