Network Setup - Is this possible

2024-01-03 20:09:00
Model: Deco XE75 Pro  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

My internet connection terminates at a dd-wrt router which I like because I can do anything with it. I want to keep this as the main router for the house. I want to have deco handle all wireless in the house but it seems like If I switch it to AP mode it kills off half the feautes (and imo completly unncessarily). I want deco for the roaming and handoff / better wifi coverage in general but I also appreciate the connection alerts etc. Why can't I just give it WiFi and be done. Am I missing something?

Currently I have it in Wifi Router Mode but:

This fights with my existing router for wired dhcp connections (and wins too often).

The three XE75 Pros are all connected to wired but still use wifi for backhaul (which I should be able to turn off anyway) which leads to me trying to pull down db backups at xxxMbps and instead of this traffic going right to the dd-wrt router and out of the house it goes to ap1 then over wifi to ap2 (main) and onto the wire which is gross.

Can I fix this  / Is deco just not what I want (it is the best wifi setup I've had and I'd rather not give it up...)

Options
3 Reply
Re:Network Setup - Is this possible
2024-01-04 17:20:02

@Justin_H,

Unfortunately, the features that are removed while in AP mode are outside the control of developers. The features that become unavailable all require the Decos to actively manage the routing and connections on the network - otherwise as you are finding the DHCP servers will fight for control of devices and your roaming may not be as seamless as previously.

When using any type of mesh on top of your other router, you will have a similar experience due to the technical limitations. It could be possible that there is a way to configure the Decos in Router mode by using a higher-level managed switch, or changing setting from DDWRT, but I am not familiar with the options available unfortunately.

As for backhaul connections, I believe the XE75 Pro has had the signal preference option added, which allows you better control over the backhaul method and source.

Out of curiosity, what settings or features are you using that is outside of the realm of your Deco system, making you use the DD-WRT router?

Options
2024-01-04 18:23:09

Thanks for your reply,

I understand some features would require controlling the dhcp but knowing when a wireless connection has been established and notifying me isn't one... 

Unfortunately the signal preference (new to me thanks) only lets you select other Delco APs no way to select using the wire they are actually connected to. Seems like a great place to have that option though and I really think it should.

Would be nice if advanced setting let you turn off dhcp on the physical connections that's really all it would take for me to have wired and wireless separate. 

I have a separate dd-wrt router as the gateway to house for port forwaring, dynamic dns (allows more than two options that Deco currently supports), sometimes dmz (could live without) and being able to access router remotely (thorugh dynamic dns with let's encrypt cert on router). It also integrates slightly better with Home Assistant. Would love to see an integration for Deco

In any case you got me thinking and I do believe I can isolate one of the devices and change it to main then just unplug the others since they don't use lan anyway.

Options
2024-01-05 00:04:58

@Justin_H,

I will have to check with our team to see if there is an easy way in which this could be achieved, as there may be potential to use the static routes function to create that tunneled connection back to the main router, but I cannot be sure myself.

You may consider simply adding a network switch after the Deco for your wired connections, as your devices should all use the Decos DHCP when connected here, but you would still be potentially facing other problems with two routers active on your network.

Options