Parental Controls not working

2024-01-26 16:14:12
Model: Deco XE5300  
Hardware Version: V6
Firmware Version: 1.2.8 Build 20230901 Rel. 36505

I have been using the deco mesh system for almost 2 years and have never gotten the Parental Controls to work.

I have even paid for the Premium Homeshield package to get Advanced Parental Controls-  still no luck!

The deco system is able to block devices, but it works intermittently.

I have to manually add and remove devices from my child profiles in order for them to access or be blocked from the internet.

The scheduled block times may block a device, but then when the scheduled downtime ends, it does not unblock it.

I have to delete the device from the child profile for it to regain access.

The behavior is not the same all of the time either.

Right now, in an effort to figure this out, I have just factory reset my main deco and started over.

The parental controls will automatically block a device as soon as it is added to a profile, even if there is no blocking, schedule, or time limit.

Has anyone had success with Parental Controls?

Thanks for any ideas!

Options
4 Reply
Re:Parental Controls not working
2024-01-27 02:45:13

@drat242 

Here's a guide for configuring Parental Controls with HomeShield on Deco XE5300.

If this was helpful click once on the arrow pointing upward. If this solves your issue, click once the star to mark it as a "Recommended Solution".
Options
3 weeks ago
I’m also experiencing issues with blocking and unblocking devices. I actually returned the XE200 thinking there was something wrong with the device and bought the XE75 Pro and I’m still having the same issue. For testing I only connected two devices and blocked one but it still has access to the internet. This makes the parental controls worthless.
Options
2 weeks ago

@Pinky-12 I have been troubleshooting this with the TP-link support team since October last year.  One person left and the case sat idle, but I finally got their attention again.  They have not solved it yet.  We tried a special firmware test but no luck yet.  I honestly don't understand how this can exist in the marketplace and not function.  Are we the only people using parental controls?!  That is impossible.  My hunch is that people struggle with it and don't understand whether it is working or not.  

attention TP-link-  please do not send me instructions on how to use the parental.  Believe me,  I know exactly how they are supposed to work and how to use them.  

just please fix the issue.

It should be very easy to replicate.

Here is an example of a recent test attempting to isolate the issue using a separate network configured with one deco that we factory reset to test a firmware update:

Here were the steps I took:

1. Reset one of my current satellite Decos that is v1 model
  2. Set this up as a new main deco directly connected to the modem (connecting by ethernet to the other main deco was not recognized)
  3. Connected Chromebook device to the new network - CONNECTS TO INTERNET
  4. Created a test profile on the new network
  5. Added the device to the profile:  STILL  CONNECTS TO INTERNET
  6. Added future Bedtime (all other restrictions disabled)  STILL  CONNECTS TO INTERNET
  7. Changed bedtime to now:  SUCCESSFULLY BLOCKS INTERNET TO DEVICE
  8. Changed Bedtime back to Future FAILS TO CONNECT TO INTERNET
  9. Tried rebooting the Deco, FAILS TO CONNECT TO INTERNET
  10. Removed device from the test profile:   ABLE TO CONNECT TO INTERNET
Options
2 weeks ago

@drat242 

I see that in your initial post you mentioned a FW release for HW v1.60 - 1.2.8 Build 20230901 Rel. 36505

Looking at the support portal I see a pretty new FW release - Deco XE5300(US)_V1.6_1.3.2 Build 20240119 with optimized HomeShield function.

Have you tried to do the same test that you've described with this new FW release ? What is the FW version of your HW v1 unit ?

If this was helpful click once on the arrow pointing upward. If this solves your issue, click once the star to mark it as a "Recommended Solution".
Options