guest network in AP mode suddenly stopped routing to default gateway

2024-02-05 08:27:46
Model: Deco BE95  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version: 1.0.14 b20231124

I had a mesh of BE95 x2 in AP mode working exactly as I wanted--I have my normal networks, and then a guest network that is not allowed local access, but could connect to the internet.

All of a sudden, the guest network clients can no longer talk to the internet when "allow local access" is off. If i enable "allow local access", they're able to reach the internet, but of course, they can also reach the rest of the local network too (which kinda defeats the purpose of the guest network for me).

I thought that disabling local access basically blocked all traffic to the local address range with the exception of the default gateway--that exception does not seem to be working all of a sudden. It was working until today. There was no automatic update of firmware or anything either, which is bizarre. I tried rebooting the BE95s to no avail.

Anyone familiar with this issue? I don't use the deco's DHCP server. I use my own (FWIW, the decos themselves get their addresses from that DHCP server), but addresses are dispensed properly, along with the configured parameters (like telling guest clients to use an internet dns server instead a local one which of course they shouldn't be able to see).

Thanks.

Options
6 Reply
Re:guest network in AP mode suddenly stopped routing to default gateway
2024-02-06 07:28:47 - last edited 2024-02-06 07:30:10

@metachronism 

Hi, Thank you very much for your feedback.

Under AP mode, if allow local access" is off, the guest devices could only communicate with the default gateway. In your case, it would the LAN IP of your ISP router.

So I think you might have a customized LAN DNS server, instead of keeping the gateway as the LAN DNS server?

Wait for your reply and best regards.

Options
2024-02-06 08:03:02

@David-TP thanks for the reply.

The DNS server is not the gateway (neither in my main network nor my guest network). i actually do not have the typical setup where some consumer router appliance does everything.

The DHCP options for the hosts in the guest network is set such such that 8.8.8.8 is set as their DNS server (this is confirmed to be applied)--so you would expect it to go try that via the default gateway. it does not make it out. It DOES work if I enable local access (specifically, all nslookups against 8.8.8.8 works)

It was working correctly with local access off for a several weeks until it just stopped working for some reason...

Several questions:

1. Is all traffic to the gateway supposed to be let through? if i disable local access, I can't ping the gateway from the guest network. not sure if is expected
  2. how does the deco decide what the gateway address for the guest clients should be? is it the gateway for the deco's management IP? They are the same in my case, but just asking.

Thank you!

Options
2024-02-06 08:30:31 - last edited 2024-02-06 08:33:50

@metachronism 

Hi, Thanks for the fast reply.

The default gateway is on the IP settings on the client and it isn't the management IP of Deco when Deco is in AP mode.

When  "allow local access" is off, you should still be able to ping the gateway.

I used to receive similar feedback that the customized DNS server is recognized as the main network device which has been separated from Guest devices so the guest network devices are unable to access the internet.

But since you mentioned the original configuration worked before, I will check with the engineers to see whether they had any other suggestions.

By the way, any chance that you could let me know what consumer software router appliance you are using?

Thank you very much and best regards.

Options
2024-02-07 23:10:54

@David-TP i wasn't saying that the deco management address was the gateway, i was saying the gateway FOR the management address is the same as the gateway for all clients. 

• My whole network is on a 192.168.0.0/22 network.
  • Gateway is 192.168.1.1 (i expanded the network from a 192.168.1.0/24 a while back)
    • gateway device is a firewalla gold plus
  • Most things get addresses via DHCP, including the deco management hosts (and the gateway gets set to 192.168.1.1 for everyone)
  • DHCP/DNS servers are MS domain controllers, and these are NOT the 192.168.1.1 address
    • Hosts on the main ssids use these DNS servers
    • There is a dhcp reservation for specific clients in the guest network to configure their DNS server to 8.8.8.8. This is working correctly.

So, the only part that isn't working correctly is the whitelisting behavior to the default gateway with "local access permitted" off, and that i guess is confirmed with what you said and the ping behavior I see.

The deco is not running the DHCP service as you can see, hence my asking how it decides what address to whitelist as the default gateway when "local access permitted" is off. I think the only reasonable guess is to use the gateway for the management address, assuming it's on the same subnet as the clients, no?

I do have the deco connected to a 10g switch via a 10g port which eventually connects to a firewalla port, and there is also a direct 2.5g connection from the deco to the firewalla, if that is of any interest.

Thanks.

Options
2024-02-09 07:03:08

@metachronism 

Are the guest devices able to ping the DHCP server, even with "local access permitted" off?

What do you see in the arp table of a guest device, after unsuccessfully trying to ping the gateway, or other devices on the main network?

You mention that the guest device shouldn't be able to see your local dns server, but you acknowledge that they see your dhcp server.

In a regular setup, "the LAN IP of your ISP router" is both the DHCP server and the gateway.

Let us hope that the "white list" includes both the DHCP server and the gateway, if they are two distinct devices.

Options
2024-02-09 07:30:30

@yves_b no, the guest clients cannot ping anything in the subnet when the flag is off, and that includes the DHCP servers (they're actually the same hosts as the LAN DNS servers). I don't know  tplink's implementation of the "allow local access" feature, but I doubt it's some VLAN implementation under the hood but rather an IP-based filter mechanism. Thus, I would actually expect DHCP broadcasts to unconditionally be allowed through and responded to--otherwise, guests would never be able to obtain an address unless using deco's DHCP service. This is corroborated by the fact that the DHCP broadcasts do get a response on the guest network even with "allow local access" off.

I have the "allow local access" flag on as a workaround at the moment, so I'll need to turn it off again to see what the arp table looks like in that condition--I'll report back what I see once I do.

Thanks!

Options

Information

Helpful: 1

Views: 201

Replies: 6

Related Articles