Backhaul switches between Wired and Wifi

2024-02-06 19:32:19
Model: Deco X90  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version: 1.2.6 Build 223225ref.33179

Deco Backhaul Frustration

I have two X90's doing the mesh network in my 1 floor house. I have both X90's connected to the same cable modem on the 2.5GB channel. My wiring is tested and speed throughput is very high no no packetloss. Yet after a few hours of showing a wired connection on the backhaul it switches randomly to wifi and never returns. If I reboot both devices they go back to being in a wired backhaul, only for a few hours later this to swap again. I would love to save the bandwidth on the backhaul from going over the wifi if possible.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Bernard

Options
5 Reply
Re:Backhaul switches between Wired and Wifi
2024-02-07 07:52:50

@Bernardhny 

Hi, May I know the model number of your cable modem?

Is your network diagram like:

ISP cable modem(maybe a modem router?)--->cable---main Deco X90

\--->cable---satellite Deco X90

Do you set Deco X90 into Access Point mode?

General questions about Ethernet Backhaul feature on your Deco

Wait for your reply and best regards.

Options
2024-02-07 21:03:17 - last edited 2024-02-07 21:04:16

@David-TP 

To answer your questions:

cable modem? UBEE UBC1322 (as provided  by Optimum Online)

Is your network diagram like:

Cable Modem (4 ports and two phone jacks telephone) --> Main Deco  (coming off Port 1 on the cable modem) directly to the Main Deco)

--> 2nd Deco (coming off Port 2 on the cable modem) directly to the 2nd Deco
                                                                                            --> Unmanaged 1GB 8port Switch coming off Port 3 on the cable modem

Unmanaged 1GB 8port Switch   --> 1 PC (not connected to wifi, only LAN)

Unmanaged 1GB 8port Switch   --> 2 Lapops (not connected to wifi, only LAN)

Unmanaged 1GB 8port Switch   --> VOIP device for telephone service

Do you set Deco X90 into Access Point mode? No, both are in router mode

Thanks

Bernard

Options
2024-02-08 07:57:19

@Bernardhny 

Hi, Thank you very much for the update.

UBEE UBC1322 is indeed a modem router, or WiFi gateway.

When Deco works in wireless router mode, only the main unit can be connected to the ISP modem router otherwise there would be a network loop.

If you plan to connect both Deco X90 to UBEE UBC1322, I think you need to switch Deco into Access Point mode.

Best regards.

Options
2024-02-08 12:34:48

@David-TP 

This makes no sense to me. If I use access point then I lose parental controls and basically all the features of the router and it is no longer a mesh system. What is the ideal way to get the backhaul over the wire and maintain the two broadcasting routers? Do both routers need to be plugged into the switch and the switch simply into the cable modem? 

The entire idea of this router being sold in a pair is to create a true mesh network, and to have a backhaul that is not going to share a wireless connection. If the switch is behind the cable modem and one device is connected to the switch while the other device (main) is connect to the modem directly wouldn't that allow the backhaul to work wired instead of wireless? Can you connect the 2nd port on the main to the 2nd port  (1GB) to each other and create a wired backhaul? There has to be a way as it has the option. If you can provide some sort of graphic that shows how I can achieve this it would be great.

Thanks

Bernard

Options
2024-02-09 06:26:35

@Bernardhny 
In Router mode, one Ethernet port of the main Deco must be exclusively used to access Internet, no other traffic can come on that port.

Suggestion (not sure about your VOIP device):

Cable Modem (4 ports and two phone jacks telephone) -->  VOIP device for telephone service

--> Main Deco  (coming off Port 1 on the cable modem) directly to the Main Deco)

--> Unmanaged 1GB 8port Switch coming off Ethernet on Main Deco

Unmanaged 1GB 8port Switch   --> 1 PC (not connected to wifi, only LAN)

Unmanaged 1GB 8port Switch   --> 2 Laptops (not connected to wifi, only LAN)

Unmanaged 1GB 8port Switch   -->  2nd Deco 

Even in access point mode, you would have the benefit of a mesh: one single wifi network, transparent roaming.

Having two cascaded routers (the modem and the Deco) is not always beneficial.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 203

Replies: 5

Related Articles