DSL to AX1800 Router - LAN Ports not connecting
DSL to AX1800 Router - LAN Ports not connecting
2024-02-20 17:53:09
Tags: #Troubleshooting
Model: Archer AX1800  
Hardware Version: V4
Firmware Version:

Greetings,

My father-in-law has the router, he lives a drive away from me and so it isn't easy for me to get there to troubleshoot in person. He is experiencing the following issues and I'm trying to develop a troubleshooting plan that I can walk him through over the phone remotely. As such, I'm hoping any replies I get are pretty straightforward/easy to describe or understand. Thank you in advance.

The setup as I understand it:
My Father-In-Law has a DSL modem. When he connects the modem directly to his desktop computer, the computer connects without issue and he can access the internet.

In an effort to improve his household internet security, he got a new router (tp-link ax1800 dual band wifi 6 router archer ax20) and has set it up so that the ethernet cable connects from the DSL modem to the WAN port on the new router.

• My Father-In-Law is has tried all four LAN ports on the router, but cannot connect with any of them. (It's unclear as to whether he can see other devices on his network)
  • My Mother-In-Law is able to connect wirelessly with her Laptop without issue.

I do not any more information than that at this time.

I'm unfamiliar with the tp-link routers (I use whatever Verizon gave me to use), and so I am struggling to troubleshoot what might be going on here. I don't think that the router is set up with MAC Address filtering as devices connected wirelessly have no issues. It is a new router and nothing looks damaged or loose with the unit. I suspect that there might be a setting that needs to be toggled in the router's setting page, though what setting that might be I'm unsure of.

I'd deeply appreciate any suggestions.

Greg

Options
2 Reply
Re:DSL to AX1800 Router - LAN Ports not connecting
2024-02-21 00:47:18

@Gritchu 

Using the laptop of your mother in law the router WebGUI can be accessed - details.

After login they can check the Network Map menu for internet access status, WAN connection type and how many devices are connected to the router:

9be4ae7178ae4226acd16c356effa5ed

There are two operation modes that AX20 can work in:

1. Wireless Router Mode - this will introduce a double NAT in their LAN.

2. Access Point Mode - details (Case 1). This will avoid the double NAT in the LAN but some features would be unavailable - details.

In both cases AX20 LAN ports should be available for wired devices. Their status can be seen here:

a4d19293b97f40c8aba2ed783e15d8b4

If this was helpful click once on the arrow pointing upward. If this solves your issue, click once the star to mark it as a "Recommended Solution".
Options
Re:DSL to AX1800 Router - LAN Ports not connecting
2024-02-21 00:49:33

@Gritchu 

several things...

Is the DSL modem a gateway?  The reason I ask is that how the wireless works? 

Assuming it is a gateway, it needs to have the setting changed that makes it in modem mode only. Then you use the router for both ethernet and wireless.

The most common reason the router does not work after installing a new router is you may need to unplug the modem for several minutes before connecting the router. 

you may need to delete/forget the network on devices then reset them up to get some devices to work.  Common on Apple wireless devices. 

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 215

Replies: 2

Tags

Troubleshooting
Related Articles