Deco Firmware 1.11.0 Feature Introduction: VPNs, Bandwidth Limit, and More

Deco Firmware 1.11.0 Feature Introduction: VPNs, Bandwidth Limit, and More

42 Reply
Re:Deco Firmware 1.11.0 Feature Introduction: VPNs, Bandwidth Limit, and More
2024-07-11 16:54:41

@Riley_S  I have been following this thread for some time. I have the Deco X55 with hardware version V1.26. As I understand it, there are 2 different hardware lines with the Deco X55 product. Version 1.6 (generally the same as v1) is different from version 1.2 (also v1.26) and have different firmware updates associated with them. As a previous engineer in the IT industry, I find this very confusing and can lead to frustration for the user. Generally, versions number for a given product are incremental with improvements. This is normally true for both hardware and software/firmware versions. However, with the X55 product (and probably others), TP-LINK has chosen to create different hardware versions using the version number in a confusing and non-incremental way. Rather than creating a v1.6 and a v1.2 hardware line, it should be something more distinctive like X55 version Axx.xx and X55 version Bxx.xx (where xx.xx is an incrementing version number). The hardware versions need to have a clearer distinction. The other major issue with this transparent hardware version, is that it is impossible to expand an X55 network using the same hardware versions. I purchased a 3-pack of the Deco X55, which were all the same v1.26 hardware. But if i wanted to expand or even if I simplify bought two 3-packs at the same time, there is no way to select or determine which hardware versions I'm getting.

I'm asking for TP-LINK to make their hardware versions easier to understand and allow buyers to either select or know which hardware version they are getting.

Options
2024-07-15 01:34:45 - last edited 2024-07-19 07:09:20

Riley_S wrote

@Wi-Fi-25

If you haven't received the update yet, I suggest changing the DNS server that your network is using to see if a different route may help allow the update to be seen.

@Riley_S 

Thanks, but unfortunately your suggestion (DNS change) did not work. Do you know if the firmware team is aware that V1.6 is not receiving the update? I don't mind waiting since I'm not too enthusiastic right now to upgrade.

Edit: 7/19/24 - Updated the app and received confirmation for firmware update. yes

Options
2024-07-23 00:07:48

@Riley_S I took the update today and now I only have 5 devices showing in the app, although my network seems to be working fine. Any recommendations?

Options
2024-07-23 21:00:33

@Tsull8,

Do the devices reappear once they have disconnected and reconnected to network? You may consider rebooting your network to see if this will help the Decos refresh the client list. If everything on your network appears to be working fine, then it is likely a behavior of the client lists.

What Model and Hardware Version is Your Deco? What Firmware Version was the update?

I would also recommend seeing if you have an available Deco App update. Recent updates have made optimizations to improve the detection of devices, so it may be that your list of devices needs to be refreshed with the new 'algorithm'

Options
2024-07-23 21:20:26

@Riley_S My Deco is the X55. I think the HW version is US/1.6 if that is the number right after the S/N.

Firmware is 1.5.1 Build 20240417 Rel. 52783. I just installed it yesterday (7/22). I have rebooted 3-4 times since the update. I still only show ... oh, now it shows 50 devices.

I swear on all that is holy that I went over 24 hours and multiple reboots and only showed 5 devices connected, when In fact I knew everything was connected as all my smart lights, switches, plugs, streaming devices and computers were working.

So, I may be good for now. I'll check back later if I have issues again.

Options
2024-07-23 21:58:00

@Tsull8,

I believe you, lol; I'm just glad that it seems to have refreshed and resolved itself on its own.

It could have been tied to the DHCP lease of the devices. I believe that the client list is edited whenever a new DHCP lease is requested. Depending on your network and the lease times used, it could take anywhere between a few hours and 24 hours for all the leases to expire and require a refresh. Your devices could still use the leases given prior to the update for connectivity.

Let us know if you see something happen, but  I think that you should be good if your devices are now showing.

Options
Re:Deco Firmware 1.11.0 Feature Introduction: VPNs, Bandwidth Limit, and More-Solution
2024-08-10 20:45:21 - last edited 2024-08-13 16:10:18

With several years of working with Deco systems, I’ve seen a lot of changes and improvements over time, so I’ve got some insights that should help you make the most of this new update. Let’s dive into what’s new and how it can benefit you.

Key Features of Deco Firmware 1.11.0

1. VPN Integration: A Game-Changer

One of the standout features in Deco Firmware 1.11.0 is the improved VPN support. This update has made setting up and managing VPNs a lot more straightforward. From my experience, a VPN is crucial for maintaining privacy and security, especially if you’re often connected to public or semi-public networks.

For example, I used to manually set up VPNs on individual devices, which was a bit of a hassle. With this firmware update, you can configure VPN settings directly on the Deco router. This means all your devices connected through Deco will automatically use the VPN, providing a seamless and secure browsing experience.

How to Set It Up:

• Go to the Deco app and select your Deco unit.
  • Navigate to the “VPN” settings.
  • Choose your VPN provider and enter the necessary details.

2. Bandwidth Limit: Keeping Things Balanced

Another significant addition is the bandwidth limit feature. This tool helps manage and allocate your network's bandwidth more effectively. If you have multiple devices or family members all streaming or gaming simultaneously, this feature ensures that no single device hogs all the bandwidth.

I remember struggling with bandwidth issues when my kids were online gaming and streaming videos at the same time. Setting up bandwidth limits on the Deco allowed me to prioritize critical devices and avoid lag or buffering issues.

How to Use It:

• Open the Deco app and select the device you want to set limits for.
  • Go to “Bandwidth Control” and set the maximum bandwidth allowed.
  • Apply the settings and monitor performance.

3. Improved Network Performance and Stability

Firmware 1.11.0 also brings enhancements to network performance and stability. This update optimizes how Deco handles multiple devices and heavy traffic, which translates to a more reliable connection, especially in households with lots of smart devices.

In my setup, I noticed a significant reduction in dropped connections and improved speed consistency across the house. This is particularly useful if you work from home and rely on a stable internet connection for video calls and file transfers.

Practical Tips:

• Regularly update your Deco units to benefit from the latest improvements.
  • Reboot your system after updates to ensure all changes take effect properly.

4. Enhanced Security Features

With the new firmware, Deco has also bolstered its security features. This includes updated firewall rules and better intrusion detection. Security is something I take very seriously, given the amount of sensitive information we handle daily.

For instance, I once had a security scare when an unknown device tried to connect to my network. The enhanced security features in 1.11.0 alerted me immediately and allowed me to block the suspicious device.

How to Maximize Security:

• Regularly check the “Security” settings in the Deco app.
  • Enable features like Intrusion Prevention and Threat Detection.
  • Review connected devices periodically and block any unknown ones.

5. Streamlined User Interface

The Deco app interface has been refined in this update, making it easier to navigate and manage your network settings. If you’ve struggled with the app in the past, you’ll appreciate how much smoother and more intuitive it is now.

I had a bit of a learning curve with the old app, but the new design is a breeze to use. For example, the simplified setup process for new devices and improved status dashboards make managing your network much less of a chore.

Personal Anecdote:

A while back, I had a major project due, and my home network was under heavy load with multiple devices streaming and gaming. Thanks to the bandwidth limits and improved performance features of the 1.11.0 update, I was able to get my work done without any hiccups. It was a relief not to deal with constant interruptions or slowdowns.

Final Takeaway

Overall, Deco Firmware 1.11.0 is a solid update that brings practical enhancements to VPN integration, bandwidth management, network stability, security, and user experience. If you haven’t updated yet, I highly recommend doing so to take advantage of these improvements. Trust me, it’ll make managing your home network a lot smoother and more efficient.

Recommended Solution
Options
2024-08-13 06:42:18 - last edited 2024-08-13 06:47:34

@Riley_S Nobody knows when the Deco X50 V1.30 will receive version 1.5? I’m using OpenVPN, but it’s very slow ≈15 Mbps. Does anyone know if WireGuard is faster?

Options
2024-08-19 21:48:39

@Riley_S

Anytime frame when we'll see this on the BE95? 

Options
2024-08-19 21:49:56

mrtibbs wrote

@Riley_S

Anytime frame when we'll see this on the BE95? 

Or the X95's?

Options