Can't take ownership of router - router is BOUND to prior owner

2024-03-21 14:23:19
Tags: #Feature Request #Access Control #BINDING to tp-link account
Model: Archer AX11000  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version: latest

Very frustrating.  Even when you do a full factory reset... the tether/phone app has MORE options than the web admin page and I discovered that the router is bound to the prior owner.  I cannot reset that.  Tp_link is useless to reset it either..

So guess what... I learned all this because my work told me a brute-force attack at an RPD port on my work laptop was happening from a Russian VPN address and the device originating the attack was the mac address of my ROUTER.

SO this is a GIGANTIC secuity hole.  DO NOT BUY THIS ROUTER... YOU CANNOT SELL IT TO ANYONE ETHICALLY AS IT IS BOUND TO YOUR EMAIL IF YOU ACTIVATE CERTAIN FEATURES IN THE TETHER.

If anyone knows how to delete a prior owner's bind... that would be great.  Factory Reset does NOT work.

Options
1 Reply
Re:Can't take ownership of router - router is BOUND to prior owner
2024-03-22 17:12:52

@Username1401,

The routers are bound to the initial TP-Link ID that they are configured with. If you are able to access the WebUI of the router, there is an option to unbind the device from the associated ID under Basic > TP-Link Cloud > Unbind in the Device Information section.

If you are unable to do so, I believe that you can reset the router, login with the default local admin credentials and change the setting at that point.

Otherwise, have you been in contact with our support team? They may be able to escalate your case to clear the binding associated with the device, but they may require additional resources such as a proof of purchase to confirm the router is yours.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 92

Replies: 1

Tags

Feature Request Access Control
BINDING to tp-link account
Related Articles