Placed Old Archer C5400X into WDS Bridge Mode Last Night & Now Cannot Access Admin Settings Page

Placed Old Archer C5400X into WDS Bridge Mode Last Night & Now Cannot Access Admin Settings Page

3 weeks ago - last edited 3 weeks ago
Model: Archer C5400X  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Last night I think I successfully placed this old C5400X into WDS Bridge Mode using the instructions found here: How do I use the WDS Bridging function to extend my wireless network? | TP-Link to be able to use it as a repeater. I said I think, because I can connect my laptop to it directly with the WiFi SSID name I assigned it and also direclty off an ethernet port of the router and I am getting internet that way. It is also broadcasting its signal and I can connect to it that way, although it is being broadcast as a hidden network.

I cannot now access the router's admin page though. Is that because it is no longer functioning as a router? I have tried all sorts of things to be able to access the admin page, but none of them have been successful. I have tried the factory default ip address. I have tried the new IP address using the new subroot of the root router that I selected. Is there a way to access the admin page or would I need to simply reset the router to factory defaults?

I can see it on my TP-Link App when I direct connect it via ethernet cable to the new modem/router.

Another question: Is there another way to test whether or not this old ArcherC5400 has been successfully setup as a repeater?

Lastly, should the setting in the new router be to manually assign the Archer an IP address or allow it to DCHP? I could not locate a WDS Bridge setting in the new router I received from Comcast. Is there anything else I need to do in the Admin Page of the new router?

Thanks so very much.

Options
7 Reply
Re:Placed Old Archer C5400X into WDS Bridge Mode Last Night & Now Cannot Access Admin Setting Page
3 weeks ago

I have the same issue with Archer A7 1750.

Set up WDS, restart PC and then it recognizes the a7 as my main router, I cant enter the a7 settings afterwards unless I factory reset.

Options
Re:Placed Old Archer C5400X into WDS Bridge Mode Last Night & Now Cannot Access Admin Setting Page
3 weeks ago

To be able to access the WDS router either set its LAN IP address as static IP or make a DHCP address reservation on your main router for the WDS router.

Thus you'll always know its LAN IP address and connect to its web management interface.

If this was helpful click once on the arrow pointing upward. If this solves your issue, click once the star to mark it as a "Recommended Solution".
Options
Re:Placed Old Archer C5400X into WDS Bridge Mode Last Night & Now Cannot Access Admin Settings Page
3 weeks ago

I was able to figure this out. I did start the process over though. One thing I did learn is that you do not want to direct connect the router to the internet after you have placed it into WDS Bridge Mode (advice that I got from someone I game with). This also means that you must direct connect to the router with an etherenet cable (or USB cable if you prefer) through one of the ethernet ports on the router & then copy and paste the new IP Address you assigned to the router into the internet browser. I tried typing the new IP Address in the broweser before, because I figured this was the case, but I could not connect to the admin page through the new IP address the first time I did it when I came here looking for help (not sure what was wrong). Obviously needing to direct connect means that if you are using a laptop w/o an ethernet port (which, most do not have now), make certain you have a USB-C port to ethernet or USB to ethernet adapter.

In the past, I used a ZyXEL Pass-Thru Ethernet Adapter 1800 connected to my modem, which I then used to connect to the 2nd adapter that was connected to my router in a different location in the house. It worked fairly well, but I was loosing a lot of speed through the connection; the electrical wiring would lose some speed along the way with interference or going through the breaker box or something.

The other advice I received here from terziyski was also solid.

I'm not too pleased with the speed this old C5400 is puling and broadcasting in WDS Bridge Mode, and it's only about 50 feet away. I may opt to direct connect this router using a 50 ft long Cat 7 cable I purchased and either run it through the foor and up the wall or up through the ceiling and down the wall to where I have this thing positioned. I also purchased a TP-Link Relayer to see how that works out. If that works well enough, then I might just put that 1 or another 1 in the tenant side of my duplex.

One question that I do now have though: Are you able to use the same SSID broadcast name for both the root and extended router? I did this, and it seemed as though there was a lot of interefernce. That being said, I don't like the fact that I have to switch the router I'm connected to based on my position in the house. It would be nice if my device could just choose the same SSID based on where I am in the house. (Guessing that this is just a downfall of using an old router in WDS bridge mode like that v. an actual repeater designed for this function?)

Options
Re:Placed Old Archer C5400X into WDS Bridge Mode Last Night & Now Cannot Access Admin Settings Page
3 weeks ago

@twd42 

C5400X should broadcast the same wireless SSID as your main router - that's the purpose of WDS.

Here's the official guide for configuring WDS for your router model.

Since the wireless connection is a half-duplex technology it's normal your speed drops about the half the one via ethernet cable.

It's always better to use a cable when you can in terms of stability and speed, so if you can use the C5400X in AP mode (Case 1).

If this was helpful click once on the arrow pointing upward. If this solves your issue, click once the star to mark it as a "Recommended Solution".
Options
3 weeks ago - last edited 3 weeks ago

@terziyski It certainly did not automatically name the SSID the same as my new Arris XB7 (TG4482A) provided by Comcast & when I previously renamed the C5400X the same as the Arris modem/router it seemed to cause a lot of intereference dropping the speed when connnected.

I received the new TP-Link range extender I purchased today, and didn't realize it would not be a OneMesh or similar mesh setup. Now I have an enitrely different Wi-Fi network. I guess that I should have researched this further and simply purchased the xFi Pods that are compatible with the dumb Arris XB7 & called it a day. I'd put the old C5400X in OneMesh mode, but it is apparently too old & does not have this functionality. Maybe I can return the TP-Link Range Extender that I just purchased to Amazon.

Only other options I have appear to be (1) put the new Range Extender in my tenant's side and just have her connect all of her devices to that (2) buy a new TP-Link router with OneMesh capability & put the Arris XB7 into bridge mode to just use it as a modem (3) return the Range Extender & buy the xFi Pods. The xFi Pods seem the way to go presently; othersise I don't have a mesh, and I'm continuosly changing which network I need to connect to based on where I am at.

Options
3 weeks ago

@terziyski: I again changed the SSID name on the C5400X to match that of the Arris XB7 and it seems to be working fine now. Thank you. It still leaves me with that range extender that would be on a separate SSID.

Thank you again

Now to decide if I want to try to run an ethernet cable to this old C5400X.

Options
3 weeks ago

@twd42 

I can't elaborate on xFi Pods since I didn't use them.

C5400X doesn't support Onemsh nor Easymesh - it's rather old for that.

If you want a decent router which supports Easymesh in AP mode I would recommend Archer AX55.

It also supports ethernet backhaul officially and match with RE315 (Easymesh with ethernet backhaul support).

As I already posted earlier you can use C5400X as an access point if you need it somewhere.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 199

Replies: 7

Related Articles