XE200 with Strange extra SSID

2 weeks ago
Model: Deco XE200  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.2.5 Build 20231120 rel 63583

Setup

Two Xe200 setup in AP mode both connected to the FIOS router by Ethernet.

Main network including 6ghz setup with a common SSID for all three frequencies with WPA2/WPA3 on 2.4/5 and 6ghz setup as WIFI & backhaul.

IOT network setup with WPA2 on 2.4

There is 4 other SSIDs listed from the DECO's (2 from each) with an SSID of zEQQwcHQPjQiXPTJ under 2.4 & 5.0 

All listed with WPA2 and oddly with stronger signals than there legitimate counterparts (my SSIDs) from each AP.

How can I eliminate these extra SSIDs?

Options
6 Reply
Re:XE200 with Strange extra SSID
2 weeks ago

@TheHangingJudge 

Where do you see those strange SSID?

Is it showed by a wifi monitoring app?

Options
2 weeks ago - last edited 2 weeks ago

@yves_b Available networks to connect on Windows 11 and also confirmed in WIFI analyzer app.

Options
a week ago

@TheHangingJudge 

Hi, you could refer to the reply in this post:

https://community.tp-link.com/us/home/forum/topic/658986

Best regards.

Options
a week ago

@David-TP  Thanks for this.  I could understand if it was only the 6ghz frequency but it is all three.  Also it should be hidden.  Unfortunately I feel like this product is not fully baked.  I guess I should just return the product. There are too many problems.

no manual control of Channels

Optimization picking channels that promote interference especially on 2.4 frequency 

no control of channel widths 

unable to turn off WiFi backhaul and ghost said networks  

Slow upload speeds on both Ethernet and WiFi compared to Ethernet speeds at the router (two xe200s in AP mode and connect via 10gig and 2.5 gig wired backhaul)

Options
a week ago

@TheHangingJudge 

Hi, Thanks for getting back to me.

I completely understand your concerns.

But I'm a little curious about the 4 SSIDs you mentioned from the Deco:

"There is 4 other SSIDs listed from the DECO's (2 from each) with an SSID of zEQQwcHQPjQiXPTJ under 2.4 & 5.0 

All listed with WPA2 and oddly with stronger signals than there legitimate counterparts (my SSIDs) from each AP."

Are they the 4 SSIDs in the red box:

fad1b9e60892420cae330d142de8c601

Are you sure that they are all from Deco XE200? The other 3 look like the WiFi from your neighbors.

Generally, after enabling 6GHz on the Deco XE200, there would be 2 SSIDs: one common SSID(for 2.4/5/6GHz)and the other for 6GHz Backhaul.;

• Deco XE200 also supports "IOT network" and  "Guest network". If you have them both enabled, you will have 2 extra SSIDs. But you can disable them if they are not necessary.

As for the "slow upload speed", if you would like to spend a little more time with us and you could send an email to the technical support, I'm sure the senior engineers would love to help us find the solution as soon as possible.

Thank you very much and best regards.

Options
a week ago - last edited a week ago

@David-TP 

Windows wifi connections don't show the same SSID from different frequencies.  The 6 ssids (3 from each XE200 at 2.4, 5 and 6ghz) show on a WIFI analyzer.  You are correct that the other networks listed in the windows wifi available networks are neighbors.  I can understand the two 6ghz zeQQ...TJ ssids as the backhaul but 1. they should be hidden and 2 they should be able to be turned off given that I am not using the wifi backhaul 3. They should be using WPA3 as a more secure backhaul. My two XE200s are setup as access points and they are wired.  For that matter, the graphics in the app should show the network map more accurately. 

As for the roque four 2.4 and 5ghz ssids using the same name as the backhaul.  Why would they even exist? They are defintely the same ssid name as the backhaul previously referenced and the signal strengths are so similar and the channels are the same. No question in my mind where they are coming from.  Sorry I would have included screen shots from the wifi analyzer, but I have already broken down the network.  The routers have the potential to be a good solution, but the issues mentioned before and the lower level configuration options are holding the product back in my opinion.  Those missing configuration options can keep one from optimizing their network.  I can't tell the channel widths which may or may not be affecting performance.  I don't understand why channel 2 or 10 is preferred on 2.4ghz given that it will interfere with 1 and 11 in almost all cases. Having the 6ghz freqency as either backhaul or wifi exclusively could be a great performance feature.  If I can utilize the 6ghz for devices then I would prefer that over backhaul, but in my case my main workstation is limited to 5ghz for 6e connectivity so if I wasn't operating a wired backhaul that would be great.  But alas not an option as the app is not capable.  I understand dumbing down the app for most users, but give power users a more advanced web interface. 

As for the IOT network, that is on and set to 2.4 only but I hadn't turned on the Guest network.

I appreciate the offer to work with tech support and if there weren't other issues I would try that, but I prefer a more robust configuration system so I have packed up the system to be returned.  

Options