Deco X20 access point mode still not correct

2 weeks ago
Model: Deco X20  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version: 1.2.0 build 20231221 rel 56452

I have a 3 node Deco X20 WiFi mesh system. Access point mode still is not acting as simple media bridge to existing wired network behind another firewall-router. I would like a proper access point where one subnet applies to both wired and WiFi and the Deco X20 lets my main firewall-router provide the DHCP.

The Deco X20 in access point mode still seems to insists on being a self-defined gateway routing to a WAN upstream. This of course means only Internet traffic works and all local subnet traffic is killed regardless of using Guest network SSID or main SSID.

Latest firmware and mobile app upgrades were however great improvements. I can at least turn off DHCP service in access point mode to prevent clashing with the main router and eventually crashing its DHCP service. Previous the Deco X20 DHCP would, oddly enough, eventually broadcast out what was otherwise treated as a WAN interface after an hour or so. Having 2 competing DHCP services on the wired network was not good.

Yes as suggested elsewhere the Deco X20 does work behind another router if you set it to explicitly gateway mode in a "double NAT" configuration where the Deco WiFi mesh has its own subnet. Messy. Potentially unstable. etc.

Oh yeah I am only using IPv4 overall. Is it possible that only IPv6 mode works and was tested?

Options
1 Reply
Re:Deco X20 access point mode still not correct
2 weeks ago
Additional note. Some of these behaviors in access mode maybe "AI" related. That is initially there did not seem to be a problem with a conflicting DHCP running on the Deco X20. But after 5+ minutes (not really timed) to hours later, it appears the Deco AI would "self configure" DHCP to come on and that its "WAN" side need to have DHCP too. Then client devices (TVs, phones, tablets, computers etc) would start getting IPs on an incompatible subnet, the main router would log DHCP server conflicts, the main firewall-router DHCP service would crash, and eventually Internet service would drop for all devices including the Deco, and everything needed rebooting.
Options