Mesh 3 Router System - Can I connect Satellite to Router as well as Main

2024-05-21 20:23:37
Model: Deco BE65  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version: 1.0.4

My house is "wired" for LAN connections in every room. Unfortunately the "hub" for this is hidden in a metal box in a closet in the master bedroom - not a place you want to put your main router. So I have a wifi router in there (with Wifi turned off) and then place the Main Deco in the living room, connected via the LAN to the "closet router."  I then just have the two Deco satellites placed throughout the house, currently connecting to the Main Deco wirelessly.

But one of those satellites (in a bedroom) is right next to another LAN connection back to the "closet router" - Can I just connect that directly to the "closet router" via ethernet for it to get it's internet connection but leave it part of the same MESH WiFi?  Would I need to change the operation mode to "Access Point"?  If I switch to "Access Point" how does that effect the Mesh Wifi system from the Decos?  I don't use the "closet router" for anything other than to get the internet signal to the house LANs for the Main Deco and also to connect my computer directly to the internet in my office.

I want the Deco System to be my WiFi System - I'm not really wanting to use it as an "access point" for the "closet router."  I just figured since one of the satellites is right by the LAN Connection, it'd be nice to have it hardlined versus a wireless connection to the internet if possible.

Options
5 Reply
Re:Mesh 3 Router System - Can I connect Satellite to Router as well as Main
2024-05-21 22:10:21

@hollywoodfrodo 

In AP mode you can connect 1 or all nodes to the main router (Closet Router).  In router mode only one Deco can be connected to the source, but you can connect a switch to that node that all other nodes connect to.  However i have a similar setup and what i recommend is this:

Deco X50-POE (3-pack)

TL-SG1005P 

Replace the closet router with one of the Deco X50-POE nodes.  Put the TL-SG1005P in the closet and power it up.  Using ports 1-4 on the switch connect the Main X50-POE and then 2 of the houses wires to ports 2, 3 or 4.  in the house connect the other 2 X50-POE to those two ports.  This allows the 3 nodes not only to communicate through the house wiring but are also powered by them.  Then you can take  the Deco you already have and either WiFi link it to the X50s or use the other two ports on the TL-SG1005P and connect them to the house wiring.  Just note that if they are not POE units they will require AC power.  

Options
2024-05-22 15:14:21

@Carl Thanks for the info and clarification.  That is what I suspected but figured I'd ask because my knowledge is somewhat limited with networking.

Options
2024-05-22 15:53:55

@hollywoodfrodo 

No worries, that is what we are here for.  And our community has some great users with impressive levels of knowledge.  

Options
2024-05-23 11:41:07

@hollywoodfrodo If you do not want to put a Deco in the closet, where its wifi signal is probably useless, you could keep your closet router, cable everything as described by Carl, and configure the Deco mesh in AP mode. 

The AP mode will not reduce all the "wifi" capabilities of the Deco.

Options
2024-05-23 15:28:53

@yves_b The problem is I can't cable "everything" - I can cable the two routers in the house, but then I have a third in the garage... 

Options